Health, Safety and Environment Officer
Health, Safety and Environment Officer
Do you want to work for and make a real impact on a GBP130m turnover, private equity backed, international healthcare business, which specialises in the development, manufacture and distribution of diagnostic products which has doubled its revenues in the last 5 years?
Due to our incredible growth and expansion we are looking for someone to deliver the company health and safety policy with the primary goal of promoting healthy & safe systems of work and a safe environment for employees and visitors within the scope of the UK legislative requirements. Through a process of continuous improvement maintain, in accordance with the necessary legislation, the safe operation of systems and procedures to fulfil this goal.
The job holder will have demonstrable knowledge of the legal expertise to fulfil their role as well as relevant experience which will allow them to promote a safety culture while ensuring the business is fully compliant.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities.
• To have responsibility for the successful and safe implementation of the Site policies and procedures that are used on company premises. Ensure a positive H.S.E. culture is encouraged.
• Maintaining awareness through CPD of new or existing legislation, approved codes of practice, guidance notes and government reports and understanding how these affect the company
• Advising managers on matters related to H.S.E. including changes in H&S legislation and reporting on H&S incidents as required
• Assist with health, safety & environment strategies which includes developing, reviewing and approving policies and procedures, monitoring and reviewing their effectiveness
• Implement and regularly review a suitable training plan for new and existing employees to cover induction to the building as well as the relevant aspects of H&S.
• Co-ordinating the work of the H&S reps, fire marshals, first aiders etc and host/facilitate the required H&S consultation meetings to ensure sufficient cover available
• Identify and report on key KPIs for the role including accidents, incidents, lost time, waste disposal etc.
• Manage COSHH assessments for all company chemical components.
• Carry out environmental monitoring of work areas and reporting findings.
• Plan and conduct internal safety audits and following up and reporting on any recommendations from said audits.
• Maintaining the necessary records to meet the legislative requirements
• Conducting accident investigation and taking the necessary action to prevent recurrence. This is to include review of existing risk assessments
• Assist with new risk assessments as required by the business.
• Monitor, review and draft new company safety data sheets for new and existing product that complies fully with REACH and GHS.
• Manage the day to day running of the IFS safety stream in the absence of the Head of Health Safety and built environment.
• Provide advice, when required, to subsidiaries in relation to health and safety matters.
• Provide input, from design through to implementation, to company compliance schemes (ISO14001 - ISO45001).
Knowledge and Skills
• Qualifications in the key risk areas e.g. Fire, working at height
• NEBOSH General Certificate in Health and Safety management
• GCSE in English & Maths
• A wealth of experience and proven track record working in a safety role.
• Previous management/ supervisory experience
• Knowledge of health and safety law and relevant legislation
• Risk assessment trained
• Trained in the compilation of safety data sheets
• Fire safety trained
• Must be able to work and lead in a team environment
• Computer literate in key Office based packages
• SDS compilation
• Willingness to be flexible to the business needs, including working outside of core hours and providing support when needed.