As an infrastructure specialist, Murphy directly employs more than 4,000 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives across the world. We operate in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, USA, Australia and the Middle East. We have a number of specialist capabilities such as pipelines, process, marine, tunnelling and piling, and we invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant, equipment and facilities.
Principal Engineer (HV Substation Protection & Control)
Main Purpose of Role
We are looking for a Principal Engineer with a HV Substation Protection and Control background to provide, and lead a team providing, safe, practical and economical Protection, Control and Automation designs for Clients to a high standard of professional competence and in compliance with Client specifications and procedures. We require that you will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in the design and delivery of high voltage transmission and distribution substation projects.
- National Grid TP141 Substation Protection & Control (CDAE) authorisation
- Receive and interpret the clients design specifications and lead the team to develop the conceptual design.
- Lead the design team to create specifications and Bill of Quantities for equipment to enable Bid Managers to send out Requests for Quotations.
- Lead team to assess supplier quotations and engage suppliers to technically align theses quotations with specification requiremsnts.
- Produce time estimates for engineering the detail design.
- Ensure that chargeable work is identified and evaluated including the preparation of adequate records of time spent.
- Lead the design team to ensure that detail design work undertaken is carried out in accordance with company procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained.
- Lead the design team to produce detailed designs, calculations, drawings, diagrams and sketches in accordance with current relevant client standards and current codes of practice.
- Undertake design checks for team members and external designers.
- Provide advice and guidance on design and operational issues.
- Ensure design risks are considered and prepare design risk assessments for any residual risks.
- Manage / supervise members of the design team to ensure the timely delivery of information, checking the quality of the work.
- Provide assistance and mentoring to other members of the design team and contribute to their continued learning and development.
- Interface to extract or provide sufficient information to enable the wider project design team to produce detailed design drawings suitable for construction.
- Undertake site visits and surveys.
- Assist with the development of graduate and junior Engineers.
- Ensure that feedback on design work is collated and saved in accordance with procedure.
- Liaise with other departments and project teams within the company with regards to design requirements.
- Assist all business units and their clients to understand the full scope and meaning of substation automation designs from tender stage to completion.
- Provide substation automation and secondary system guidance through the entire construction process of projects, answering any required Technical Questions.
- Prepare conceptual designs from with a view to the preparation of safe, practical and economic designs in accordance with current legislation.
- Contribute to our work winning / bid teams by providing strong technical support to tenders by identifying innovative and cost effective strategies and solutions.
- Establish and promote best practice with regards to health, safety and environmental matters in conjunction with the SHESQ Department.
- Promote the in-house design team in order to establish and maintain future work.
- Represent the design department when necessary at internal and external meetings.
- Manage the interface with internal or external design teams on behalf of the Design Manager/Project teams.
- Administration and monitoring of Change Controls.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site and for tenders.
- Liaison with clients/site staff/subcontractors and proprietary suppliers and the delivery of schemes to deliver schemes to time and to budget.
- Maintain responsibility for the storage, filing and archiving of documents relevant to your design tasks via Doc Control.