Specialist Study Skills Tutor - SpLD
Vacancy for a Specialist study skills tutor (SpLD).
Cosmic People are a DSA-QAG accredited provider of NMH support to students with disabilities in Higher Education.
We currently have a vacancy for an experienced and qualified HE dyslexia specialist to work with students on a one to one basis at various University's in Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the Midlands. You will work on campus supporting students in accordance with their DSA Assessment of Needs report, course requirements and learning preferences, as a Specialist one to one Study Skills Tutor.
Please see below for some of the role specifications: -
As a specialist tutor you will provide one to one study skills support to students with specific learning difficulties (SpLD) and will encourage students through development of strategies and facilitation to enable them to become independent learners. You will set clear standards and expectations for your sessions and the nature of the help you provide will be in line with the student course requirements and learning preferences and will include: time management, organisation, reading and memory strategies, oral communication skills, planning and writing, amongst others. A good understanding of the relevant recommended Assistive Technology to aid learners is also important.
The successful candidates will have:-
- A qualification in Dyslexia Tuition
- Experience supporting dyslexic learners on a one to one basis or experience with disability issues in higher education
- Have excellent communication, time management and organisational skills
- A good knowledge of the English language
- Be able to work flexibly to support student's needs
- Maintain professional boundaries and respect confidentiality and data protection requirements.
- Adhere to Academic codes of practice.
- Be capable and confident and able to work on your own initiative.
- Have problem solving skills, empathy, diplomacy and sensitivity
- Hold an enhanced DBS certificate covering adults
- Be a member of one of the following professional bodies: ADSHE, PATOSS, BDA, The Dyslexia Guild
Start date: ASAP
Role: Part time
Hourly rate of pay: GBP30 (PAYE)
Andrea Lissemore, Cosmic People