OPERATIONS MANAGER - PRODUCTION
OPERATIONS MANAGER - PRODUCTION
"Transformational change and leadership role for university degree educated Engineering professional, with lean, CI & Six Sigma experience required to manage specification sales led production and assembly operation. Experience of sheet metal CNC forming, pressing and welding processes advantageous"
Salary: GBP50-60000 (Dependent on Experience) + Bonus & Benefits
Commutable from Nuneaton, Tamworth, Atherstone, Dordon, Bedworth, Hinckley, Lichfield, Ashby de la Zouche, Leicester, Coventry, Rugby, Lutterworth, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, Cannock, Rugeley, Burton upon Trent, Birmingham, Solihull, Warwick, Leamington Spa
Our client is a market leader in the specifications sales led manufacture and supply of mechanical security and service access solutions to the industrial and commercial sector including hotels, airports, shopping centres, high rise buildings, hotels, rail/underground, hospitals/care homes, university student accommodation, commercial and residential developments, interior design and fit out sector. Our client's sales team works closely with architects, specifiers and main contractors.
Following a recent restructure and ambitious growth plans, our client is now seeking an Engineering graduate for the role of Operations Manager - Production. The successful candidate will be responsible for transformational change and leadership within this make to order production and assembly operation. The ideal candidate will have previous experience of lean, CI and Six Sigma in order to strategically develop and enhance production capability to meet increased order numbers, improve operational output and performance.
The production facility consists of sheet metal CNC cutting and forming/press machines, CNC machine centre, welding, painting, assembly and packing. Orders are supplied nationally and internationally. Whilst experience of sheet metal operations would be advantageous it is not a prerequisite however candidates must be champions of best in class health and safety within high performing lean CI production and assembly environments.
You will undertake a strategic review and analysis, working with senior executives at group and divisional level, in order to develop the best operational model for our client for now, the medium and long term in line with anticipated forward demand and sales growth. As Operations Manager- Production you will progressively improve production capacity, introduce additional shifts, further up skill and develop the team to ensure succession planning as the operation grows. The focus will be on establishing the foundations and continuously improving to achieve best in class production and assembly. You will manage the whole production and assembly operation from end to end.
- Manage and develop the production, maintenance and engineering functions.
- Manage the production performance, planning and day to day running of the production and assembly operation
- A "hands on" manager prepared to lead from the front with a ''get it done" attitude.
- Drive a strong ''safety first'' culture
- Ensure customer orders are fulfilled in full and on time and within stringent service level agreements.
- Transform performance through implementation of best practice processes and continuous improvement tools.
- Uses established operational tools - lean, six sigma, and world class manufacturing techniques to deliver best in class performance on productivity, machinery utilisation, waste and OTIF.
- Adherence to Quality standards
- Primary safety leader of the production operation; directing all activities of the operation to ensure customer needs are met as well as efficient production, ensuring Health & Safety and Quality standards are met and maintained.
- Ensures that delivery lead times are within policy to achieve OTIF targets.
- Reviews weekly/ monthly/ quarterly production forecasting and scheduling and maintenance activities of the overall operation.
- Responsible for income and expense related activities and performance
- Responsible for all inventory, including raw material, work in progress and finished goods, and related values and Kanban replenishment of same.
The Ideal Candidate:
- University degree in Engineering/Manufacturing.
- Experienced in the application of lean operational excellence, CI & Six Sigma tools - green or black belt.
- At least 5-7 years previous manufacturing/production and assembly operations management experience,
- Track record of success as a transformational change agent and leader.
- Significant experience as a people manager and good leadership, management and supervisory skills required.
- Evidence of coaching and mentoring essential.
- Able to drive a strong safety culture.
- Proven track record in problem solving, process development, and directing engineering projects to improve the equipment and technology.
- Previous financial analysis and P & L management experience.
- Experience implementing Quality Management Systems.
- Experience of implementing ERP and production planning systems.
- Efficiency driven- monitoring output and management of raw materials.
- Accomplished communicator.
- Target driven - production, inventory levels/ forecasting
- Excellent time management.
- Strong organisation skills. A structured, systematic and logical thinker.
- Must be able to prioritise and manage customer requirements, working closely with colleagues in sales, logistics and customer service.
- Strong analytical and computer literacy skills especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Confident and experienced in business case presentation, persuasion and influencing at senior stakeholder/executive level.