Lead BI Developer
Your new role
The Major Projects (MP) Lead BI Developer works within the Major Projects Programme Hub (MPPH) and reports to the Business Reporting & Systems Lead. The Lead BI Developer manages the Azure & Power BI platforms for MP. The role is responsible for publishing reports into the live environment, and signing off work completed by other developers. Day to day the team are responsible for managing a reporting cycle to refresh multiple data sets and developing new reports through capturing business requirements submitted by MP teams to determine if and how they can be incorporated into the standard Power BI reports. This includes determining the effort to develop each requirement and agreeing the prioritisation of requirements, and also making changes to existing reports to meet specific business requirements using the MP automated reporting platform. The role will require travel and team size is around 11 people. This position will be offered as a 12 months fixed term contract.
What you'll be leading on
* Ensuring Azure data model and Power BI is managed to operate effectively to meet business reporting requirements and the design is in line with agreed documentation
* Lead for technical elements of establishing new system connections or SQL work required for new data sets
* Lead a team to develop changes to existing standard reports and develop new reports in accordance with the agreed requirements, using an agile development process and through engagement with business stakeholders across MP
* Investigate, analyse and fix any defects or issues in the automated reporting platform. Make improvements to the automated reporting processes where required
* Provide technical training on the automated reporting platform to other team members who need to develop ad-hoc reports or undertake data discovery
To be successful
* Demonstrable experience of designing and developing digital reports using Power BI and DAX Expressions, QlikView and Tableau
* Demonstrable experience of using SQL Server 2008 - 2016 databases
* Demonstrable experience of data analysis, master data management and data quality assurance
* Demonstrable experience of data management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
* Demonstrable experience of an ETL tool: eg- SSIS
A bit about us
The Major Projects Programme Hub provides a central, integrated programme management office for Major Projects Directorate, responsible for defining the standards, processes, systems and governance arrangements that will be used throughout the Directorate for the delivery of projects and programmes. The Major Projects Programme Hub is also responsible for raising the level of professional capability in all programme management service functions and in project management as a whole. It also enables, advises and supports other services which are provided across Major Projects Directorate.
Want to know more?
Please see link to the role profile.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.