Regional Operations Centre Team Manager
Your new role
Safety and Customer Service are at the heart of everything we do and in this role you will directly impact the safe running of the strategic road network minimising any adverse effects on our customers. Reporting directly to the Operations Manager you will lead a team of 8-10 Regional Operations Centre Operators based within the control room, responsible for the deployment of Traffic Officers and Incident Support Units.
In this role you will provide guidance and direct the work of the team to ensure traffic operations run smoothly and major incidents are handled effectively across the West Midlands network.
Our teams operate in a 24/7 environment with this role attracting a 20% shift allowance.
What you'll be leading on
* Provide front line team management and set objectives for the team, supporting and developing performance and managing resources to ensure knowledge and competence is maintained.
* Act as incident commander either on scene or from the control room on behalf of Highways England as needed to ensure all those involved are working safely and collaboratively to resolve the incident in a timely manner.
* Lead on Health and Safety reporting requirements to ensure all staff operate in a safe manner, with particular regard to the safety-critical nature of the role.
* Produce staffing rotas for the team to ensure a good quality service is delivered on a consistent basis.
* Deliver staff briefings on relevant topics as required, e.g. health and safety, to ensure team have the knowledge and skills they need to operate effectively
To be successful
* You will have demonstrable experience of incident management and working within a control room within an operational environment
* A strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements in a customer focussed organisation
* Experience of safely managing a team to achieve a busy workload whilst setting objectives, ensuring morale is high and that the team feel valued and engaged
* Strong communication, collaboration and people skills
* Proficiency in a range of office software products to enable production / maintenance of a range of complex documents, spreadsheets and management reports
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
Take a look at our role profile here!
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.