Commercial Litigation Paralegal FTC
We are looking for a Commercial Litigation Paralegal to join our Birmingham office on a 6 month fixed term contract (with possible extension to 9 months). You will take fee earning responsibility for a large number of files. Other duties will include to start the pre legal process with the support of the admin assistant, send warning and chasing letters out to debtors and telephone calls to both clients and debtors, take trace instructions, international collections from clients and outsource to agents and progress current portfolio of cases, give ad hoc advice and continue matters in court proceedings.
Pre Legal tasks
- Conflict Checking and setting up files with support from admin assistant
- Drafting and sending Warning / Chaser letters 1, 2 and 3
- Inbound and outbound telephone calls to debtors
- Emails to debtors negotiating payments or instalment plans
- Trace instructions
- International collections
- Giving ad hoc advice
- Drafting claim forms and particulars of claim
- Dealing with defences
- All general court proceedings
- Mediation and settlement
Other tasks in line with the firm's core values
- Always demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Taking every reasonable opportunity to further legal and skills training
- Contributing where appropriate, as part of a department to marketing, cross-selling, quality and operational issues and to introduce clients to the firm wherever possible
- Undertaking any other suitable work for the firm as and when required
- Being a team-player in terms of the workgroup, department and where appropriate to the Firm as a whole
The Ideal Candidate
Preferably with experience within a similar legal environment, an understanding of litigation, working with large volumes and debt recovery procedures would be an advantage.
- Excellent IT skills
- Organisational skills essential
- Conduct effective case and transaction management
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- Strong team player
- Commercial awareness
The individual will be able to:
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment to the team and wider office
- Learn new skills quickly and adapt to changing surroundings
- Develop strong relationships within the Firm
- Plan and organise own workload
About the firm
This is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
With over 430 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
About the team
The Debt Recovery Team is an award winning team dealing with business to business debt. The team range over a number of sectors, namely; Education, Healthcare, Local and Central Government, Financial Services, Recruitment, Professional Services, Utilities, Energy and Telecoms, SME's and Commercial Businesses. They advise on all aspects of managing client's debt portfolio providing Litigation, Debt Collection, Recovery Services and Arrears Management to a broad client base. Most of the work is done on a large volume basis and therefore is a very fast paced environment within a paperless department
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.