Service Desk Analyst
Becoming a Service Desk Analyst with Capita Local Government services in Birmingham:
Role involves taking the calls on the service desk and contributing to the service desk targets of answering 80% of the calls within 20 seconds. Along with voice calls, you will be responsible for maintaining other forms of communication that Birmingham City Council use to get in touch with the service desk including external mailboxes, processing Starters, Movers and Leavers, processing requests submitted via email. This also includes classifying, assigning or resolving any calls that are generated by end users via ICT Portal.
What you will do:
- To update the caller details and ensure any changes in telephone number or location is subsequently updated in the contact details of ITSM tool
- To use the Call Management software as a tool to guide the correct logging of an incident, using call scripts where applicable
- Recording an incident capturing essential information on the software or hardware which is at fault, recording an IP address and unique PC identification tag
- To diagnose and resolve a number of fixable calls at first line in order to contribute to the first time fix rate of 60% and assign any calls that cannot be resolved at first line to the appropriate resolver group for resolution
- Using remote support tools (Lync) to aid in the resolution of an incident and if not, to obtain screen prints to aid the resolution process when assigned to an Internal Resolver Group
- Following the appropriate escalation procedures for the logging and reporting of a high priority incident, capturing all essential information, assessing and recording impact, and reporting this to an Incident Management function
- To take ownership of incidents directly assigned to Incident Handlers themselves, taking the lead on contacting the end users, updating the incident record with missing information or updates on the incident itself and notifying the resolving groups of any urgent updates or chases
- Identifying and reporting back to line management on areas of the call logging process that could be improved, identifying any missing call scripts or applications requiring further understanding
Your experience will include:
- Experience of providing telephone support in a busy Helpdesk environment
- Experience of working in a customer focused organisation
- Experience of supporting Windows operating systems including Windows7/8
- Experience of supporting a range of PC based applications including MS Office 2007 and 2013, office 365, Internet/Intranet, PC Hardware & Peripherals, Networks (Active Directory, LAN's) Security/policy tools and processes
- Experience of using a Call Management System for the recording of incidents and requests preferable, especially vFire, but full training will be given
- Experience of using remote support tools
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal, to users with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Ability to record information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to demonstrate good listening skills to be reflected in quality of incident logged
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- ideally have knowledge of ITIL/working in an ITIL environment
About Capita Local Government
For over 25 years, Capita has been the UK's leading provider of services to local government. We help councils to improve efficiency, provide better services and become more commercially sustainable. This works through a variety of frameworks, service agreements, commercial partnerships, shared services and joint venture companies.
What's in it for you?
At Capita, we believe an open, transparent working environment that encourages ingenuity and collaboration - with colleagues, customers and clients - is what makes us so effective at what we do.
As well as a generous basic salary, we also give you holiday, and access to a variety of voluntary benefit options. These include a share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle, such as retail, health & wellbeing and leisure discounts.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now. We understand you might have some questions before taking the step to apply - you can contact Catherine Gander on or at for guidance.
Follow Capita on
Follow Capita on
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.