Head of Platform Engineering
About The Role
Overall Purpose of role: Provides leadership and sets the direction for the IT platform engineering function in respect to people, processes and technology.
Key responsibilities include:
• Leads the strategy for the automation and delivery of infrastructure and environments as code, embracing tools, process and best practices frameworks.
• Leads senior managers of teams of infrastructure, environment and devops engineers, to create a set of key measures to assure quality and control of engineering capability and performance
• Leads the adoption of cloud based technologies and services
• Leadership and line management of the infrastructure engineering, environment support and devops resources
• Define a technology roadmap with deliverables focused on the continued improvement of the functions capabilities and empowering a DevOps culture
• Design and build platforms with appropriate levels of security, resiliency and agility
• Create tools and automated workflow capabilities to enable our software engineers to test and promote code across the different environments and into production with maximum velocity
• Work tirelessly to reduce or remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the Technology Delivery ecosystem
• In collaboration with software engineering and colleagues in IT Service work to reduce or eliminate manual or repetitive tasks, improving the end to end health and performance of the IT ecosystem
• Accountability for the design and delivery of environment support, infrastructure change, and associated tooling for code deployment and management.
• Anticipates and reacts to major technology changes (internal and external) to ensure the Technology Delivery capability is enhanced in line with industry and market practices.
• Work with Head of Software Development, Head of Enterprise Architecture and other IT functions to define and implement Development Operations and Agile working practices.
• Provides shared services across the IT function to drive collaboration and automation across the Software and Infrastructure Development Life Cycle.
• Manages the non-production environment estate to optimize the flow of change to production.
• Manages to the agreed Governance and Risk frameworks within the span of control
• Enables informed Executive decision making through accurate, consistent and timely management information, planning and reporting
• Working within hybrid environments and able to strategise and execute across multiple teams
Professional qualifications or essential experience required:
• Educated to degree level with additional Diploma or equivalent in IT
• Experience of delivering high quality Executive reporting.
• Experience of managing stakeholders at all levels.
• Experience of managing at a senior level.
• Experience of leading and delivering core platform services in previous roles
• In-depth experience of infrastructure engineering, environment management, devops culture and technologies.
• Strong knowledge of Cloud, DevOps, Containerisation, Configuration and Automation will be key to this roles success.
• Strong Agile experience along with other software development methodologies and processes
• Commercially aware - budget management, compliance and governance
About The Company
IT at the Coventry is changing; we are currently undertaking an exciting transformation project that will shape the future of the organisation. As we progress on our journey we are seeking talented individuals who are passionate about delivering an outstanding experience for both members and colleagues in an environment where you will have the opportunity to be part of the future success of the organisation and work in an environment where personal and professional development is taken seriously.