General Manager/Managing Director Designate
Job Title: General Manager/Managing Director Designate
Reporting to:Managing Director
Founded some sixteen years ago, our client is a highly successful construction and property development business. It specialises in new build, property trade and rented property (both its own and on behalf of owners), property refurbishment and adaptation, heating installation, biomass and renewable energy systems.
The company is very much a "people business", with c. 100 people and depends for its continued success on all of its team to deliver results.
The company is now of a size that the owner and MD believes now is the right time to bring on board a General Manager/Managing Director Designate to aid the continued development of the company, allowing him to take a more strategic role.
The Role: -
To support the Managing Director to deliver the business plan and improve overall management team's effectiveness by:
- recruiting and developing the management team;
- communicating values, strategies, and objectives;
- assigning accountabilities;
- planning, monitoring, and appraising job results;
- developing incentives;
- developing a climate for offering information and opinions;
- providing educational/personal development opportunities.
This is not a "9-5 job"!
- Assist in developing the strategic business plan by understanding operational and financial opportunities; presenting assumptions and recommending action based on sound financial management.
- Accomplishing subsidiary objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and critical process results metrics with the management team; allocating resources; reviewing progress with the management team in a systematic and consistent manner and making mid-course corrections as necessary.
- Coordinates efforts by continuous review of established procurement, operational, marketing, field, and technical services policies and practices to support an environment of continuous improvement, coordinating improvement actions with the management team.
- Continue to build the company image by collaborating with customers, local government agencies, community organizations, other stakeholders and employees.
- Ensuring ethical business practices to ensure all services are delivered to meet customer requirements within budget and to achieve planned margins.
- Maintain relevant Quality and Health & Safety standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in construction, civil engineering or similar
- Alternatively a finance qualification with background gained in senior management in construction, HVAC, property development or similar sectors
- Project Management - Prince 2 ideal , but not essential
- Strong financial management experience including production management accounts would be ideal
- Experience in operational or financial management at a senior level, possibly a number two to a GM or MD or as owner of own business
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- A self-starter - initiative, entrepreneurial outlook
- Attention to detail with strong planning ability
- Understand "ownership", both of own business processes and how others gain ownership of what they do.
- A "can do attitude" willing to lead from the front and provide guidance and help to management team where necessary.
- Live within commuting distance of client preferably.
- Basic c. GBP45 - 75k, negotiable, + Profit related bonus
- Car (e.g. Mercedes C Class or similar)
- Contrib. pension