Responsible Gas Person / Gas Engineer
Are you a Commercial Gas Engineer? Competent in working within Commercial Estates including MoD?
Girling Jones are recruiting for a Gas Engineer to me the Responsible Gas Person for MoD sites, working with the Hazardous Area Manager. As Responsible Person for Gas, you will ensure as far as reasonably practical that all persons within the establishment(s) observe the requirements of the Gas Safety Case. Produce risk Assessments, method statements and where necessary safety programmes and Gas Permits to Work to a high quality.
- Accept responsibility for the practical implementation and operation of Gas Safety in area of responsibility.
- Support the effective and timely delivery of statutory, mandatory and reactive maintenance and Additional Services.
- Provide professional and technical support, and advice, where required to maintenance teams, DIO and end users.
- Support the Help Desk in responding to requests for professional and technical advice.
- Ensure compliance and adherence with Health and Safety, sustainability and fire procedures
- Keep and maintain the Gas Safety Management Plan, records and update WorkManager as required.
- Provide support and where directed, manage gas projects providing technical input and producing business cases.
- Maintain training, familiarisation and knowledge across all sites within the Service Delivery Area.
- If appointed within an establishment containing a hazardous area, actively communicate and cooperate with the hazardous area manager.
- Assess the competence of Gas Skilled Persons for appointment and review experience and performance before re-appointment, and at other times as necessary.
- Ensure skilled persons are aware of any restrictions related to their work. Where necessary, suspend the appointment of any restrictions related to their work. Where necessary, suspend the appointment of Skilled Persons.
- Produce risk Assessments, method statements and where necessary safety programmes and Gas Permits to Work to a high quality.
- Attend and contribute to risk meetings. Review risk registers and follow maintenance and management processes
- Reduce the number of corrective actions (CARs) raised and close existing CARs within agreed timescales.
- Liaise with DIO SME, Gas Suppliers, end users and other stakeholders to provide advice and support.
- Liaise closely with the Gas Safety manager, seeking guidance as necessary.
- Liaise closely with the Service Delivery Area Managers and Site Managers for continued compliance throughout the Service Delivery Area.
- Maintain a positive environment in which Skilled Persons and other team members engage and follow in the requirements of the Gas safety Case
- Contribute to data gathering and forecasting associated with the Forward Additional Services Plan
- Management of all processes to ensure business continuity and risk mitigation.
- Consider and document risks associated with the tasks undertaken and propose ways of mitigating any financial or operational impacts.
- Ensure operations are delivered efficiently and economically in order to promote a profitable business
What you will need to succeed
- Familiarity or experience in management of Gas Safe Systems of Work
- Experience working with gas distribution networks
- Experience working with gas utilisation installations both commercial and domestic
- Experience working with LPG in both domestic and commercial installations
- Training in Safe Control of Operations, SHEA Gas and Escape Locate and Repair works
- Management Experience in an operational environment
- Experience in gas compliance for utilisation and distribution
Significant practical experience of Safe Systems of Work including:
- Management of the Operational Delivery of JSP375
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Experience of supervising site operations
- Managing staff in the appropriate disciplines
- Planning, directing and controlling activities
- Management of resources to achieve results
- Agreeing scope and priorities of work
- HND level qualification in an Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline or equivalent experience
- Technical qualifications & training as required by JSP 375, including:
- Emergency first aid
- Fire safety
- Management level qualification in H&S and Environment (e.g. SMSTS)
The next step?
- Click apply for an immediate call back or contact Adele at Girling Jones for a full detailed brief on the role.
Girling Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.