A highly-successful and rapid-growing technology company is seeking a Technical Manager to join their team. This is an exciting opportunity to take a highly successful instrument currently produced in the hundreds of units per annum, into volumes of 1,000 units per annum and above.
The Technical Manager is responsible for all aspects of specified key Company projects, ensuring that the electronic and systems engineering is delivered safely, efficiently, effectively to quality and specification.
Working within a matrix structure and alongside Project Management, you will empower assigned project teams to deliver on time, to budget and specification. In addition, you will mentor, coach and develop identified key staff members to enable more efficient working practices, increase the technical skill levels whilst embed and improve process disciplines.
The Technical Manager provides the creative technical flair and constructively challenges current system architectures whilst offering and justifying alternative approaches / technologies.
This role requires an individual that possesses a broad depth of best practice technical experience from a volume-based business with a technically challenging product. You also need to be cognisant of the need to understand market requirements and commercial implications of product delivery.
- Establish a core understanding of existing products operating principles and identify weaknesses / opportunities for improvements;
- Develop a clear understanding of competitors products and their strengths and weaknesses;
- Work closely with Marketing to define next generation product(s) specifications;
- Recommend resources required to form project team to conduct system architecture definition and manage assigned project team;
- Define an overall system architecture and identify most appropriate sub system technologies with respect to both cost & performance;
- Ensure TRL (Technology Readiness Level) is appropriately understood and factored into development requirements;
- Establish risk register for system architecture and sub systems;
- In conjunction with Project Management resources develop a project plan for product delivery along with resourcing requirements and budgets;
- Utilise a structured and best practice NPI (New Product Introduction) process to deliver the project against time, specification and cost metrics;
- Be the technical authority for the complete product;
- Manage assigned project team and work closely with Project Management to deliver the new product(s) on time, budget and to agreed specification(s);
- Engage with current and new suppliers at a detailed technical level;
- Leveraging from sub system and full system risk registers develop and manage a comprehensive test programme.
You could be the ideal candidate for this exciting Technical Manager opportunity if you have the following key skills and experience:
- Technical qualifications in Electronics;
- Extensive design epxiernece of complex electro-mechanical products;
- Been a key member of a team taking a product from initial design through to manufacture in volumes above 1,000 units/annum;
- Have used and supports the use of best practice NPI processess to deliver new products;
- Comfortable working in a matrix project structure;
- Technically inquisitive with proven creative design flair;
- Be located in (or willing to relocate to): Gloucestershire/Herefordshire/Worcestershire;
- Due to the office location, candidates will require a full UK driving licence and own transport.
- Highly competitive salary (depending on skills and experience);
- 35 hours per week.