Your new role
Reporting directly to the Group Category Manager you will work closely with the supply chain to develop new arrangements for the Roadside Traffic Technology and Steel Structures categories and manage existing arrangements. You will also directly line manage an Assistant Category Manager leading on Steel Structures.
Utilising your excellent relationship skills you will actively meet with a large framework of suppliers leveraging the best possible value, identifying opportunities for innovation and capturing changes in the marketplace to meet the strategic objectives for your assigned category.
Our framework has a value of £3.3bn across our investment projects and so this is a great opportunity offering exposure to a variety stakeholders across fast past innovative categories.
What you'll be leading on
* Developing specific plans to deliver Highways England wide category management strategy within the Roadside Traffic Technology and Steel Structures categories
* Managing and building effective relationships with key internal and supply chain stakeholders to promote and support the embedment of category strategy arrangements and initiatives (including frameworks)
* Identifying and managing category product risks that impact performance and delivery, and ensure that Corporate Governance is maintained at all times
* Working with the Commercial, Procurement and Supply Chain teams to develop appropriate procurement approach for assigned category area
* Actively identifying and driving opportunities for innovation with category stakeholders within assigned category and apply best practice that meets strategic objectives (e.g. improved safety, customer experience, etc.)
* Building team capabilities and ensure talent development is achieved by coaching, guiding and providing timely feedback to the team members to drive performance improvement
To be successful
* You will have demonstrable experience of working in a Commercial, Procurement and/or Supply Chain environment, with a working knowledge of the procurement lifecycle
* You will have the ability to operate strategically and at times tactically where appropriate
* You have a wide breadth of industry knowledge with the drive to seek out changes in the market and sector insights to inform strategy
* You are a natural at managing multiple projects with an awareness of risk management
* You actively build, maintain and nurture relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and management stakeholder relationships effectively
A bit about us
There's never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team.
We're a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You'll be involved in the design of our modern, progressive contracts and partnerships, negotiating best commercial terms, galvanizing innovation and influencing the development of projects for to enable positive commercial outcomes. Building on every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Want to know more?
Please review the role profile to find out more.
Interviews for this role are expected to take place in February 2019.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.