HMP Dovegate is a category B male establishment prison and our current population is over 1100 prisoners all over the age of 21. All of the inmates at Dovegate are serving a range of sentences including trial, remand, those awaiting sentence and convicted men serving over 4 years to life.
HMP Dovegate - Uttoxeter
Permanent - 40 hours per week
£21,640 per annum
Are you an established Catering Assistant or Chef looking for a new challenge? Do you want to experience working in a completely different environment? Do you have the ability to work with people from widely differing backgrounds? Are you looking for a role where you can make a difference? If you answered yes to the above, then we would like to hear from you!
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the catering function at HMP Dovegate as we are currently looking to recruit a Chef.
When you think of a Chef you would typically imagine working within a restaurant or pub and not usually within a prison environment. This can often put people off from applying; however the offenders have to go through a thorough process in order to be selected to work within the kitchens, which is a very sought after position within the prison.
As a Chef at HMP Dovegate you will be responsible for training and supporting offenders during the preparation and service of food to the whole of the prison community at key meal times throughout the day; whilst ensuring that the highest possible standards of cleanliness and hygiene are maintained. An integral part of the role will require you to ensure all areas of the catering and security operation are maintained at all times.
What we can offer you:
- £21,640 per annum.
- A 2 week Induction. This is an interactive and informative training course, which will challenge and develop you but it has been designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills required to be a successful Officer at HMP Dovegate.
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free onsite parking
- Life assurance
- Support for your learning and development by offering various training including Level 3 Food Hygiene and HSE courses
- This role will require you to work 40 hours per week and will involve working a variety of shifts that could include working 4/7 days Monday to Sunday and anytime between 7:00 - 18:00.
- This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all offers of employment are subject to security clearance checks and approval by the Home Office.
Desired skills, experience and Knowledge:
- City & Guilds 706/1 or an equivalent catering/cookery based NVQ qualification
- Food Safety Level 2 or Basic Food Hygiene Certificate or equivalent.
- Experience working within a catering environment.
- Supervisory experience is an advantage.
You will be working within what can be a challenging and complex environment as you will be delivering more than 1200 meals per day and in line with prison regime, so the ability to remain calm under pressure whilst delivering direction is essential.
This is a varied and hugely rewarding role, where you will be able to act as a role model to the offenders and teach them skills that they will be able to put to use in the outside world once they have served their sentence.When you think of a Chef job role you imagine working within a restaurant and not necessarily within a p...