This is a key role supporting the European Close Manager to analyze, manage, account for and control Europe Payroll and Travel costs working closely with both European and US business partners providing a first class business partnering experience and highly accurate reporting. The role will also include performing Sarbanes Oxley testing on certain areas of the business and reporting results to the Internal Audit function based in the US. The analyst will also provide support for budgeting, forecasting and month end accounting for “Other Income” and “Credit Card Fees” as well as performing month end balance sheet reconciliations as part of the Close Teams remit.
• Provides a professional, comprehensive and responsive business partnering service for the business partners in Rugby, London and US head office teams for the accounting of European Payroll and Travel.
• Prepares payroll journals for UK, Italy, France and Ireland providing advice to Brand Finance teams on variances or issues noted. Manages relationship with Payroll team and Outsourced External Payroll processing centre to ensure data inputs, reports and resolution of queries dealt with timely.
• Reconciles balance sheet accounts linked to areas of responsibility (circa +50 reconciliations), in particular full ownership for all payroll associated balance sheet reconciliations ensuring supporting documentation clear and concise and aged or reconciling items dealt with promptly. Specifically with regards to payroll reconciliations, works closely with internal and external business partners to ensure accuracy of balances.
• Is responsible for the monthly forecast and annual budget of Other Income for the European business and liaises with US business partners and the Europe VAT team to obtain relevant information on its various elements.
• Is responsible for the monthly forecast and annual budget of Credit Card Fees for the European business and liaises with Treasury Finance Director to obtain relevant information on its various elements.
• Prepares monthly journals for month end Europe Travel with robust high quality supporting documentation.
• Is responsible for ensuring travel invoices and company travel card statements are reviewed, approval sought from management and submitted for payment timely. Pro-actively liaises with Gap travel agency to obtain accurate and timely information and is a key business partner with Gap Procurement on potential areas of process improvement.
• Keeps up to date with changing payroll legislation and takes a key role on payroll projects leading and influencing the set up and review of finance deliverables by region as agreed timetable dictates.
• Develops robust understanding of finance reporting tools (both Oracle and Essbase) to drive reporting efficiencies within the business
• Is responsible for testing the 3 SOX key controls for Europe on a quarterly basis and for supporting
business partners with US testing and walkthroughs.
• Supports the external auditors during their audits and quarterly reviews on queries related to the accounting of payroll and travel.
• Other ad hoc responsibilities include:
Month/quarter end close team support activities to ensure total Europe reporting deadlines and deliverables met;
Provide support with regards to ad hoc finance projects
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – individual needs to be credible and able to challenge senior business partners
• Great attention to detail and accuracy
• Highly motivated self-starter with demonstrably high levels of drive, energy and innovation
• Track record of achievement and excellence in standards
• Advanced Excel skills