Project Engineer - Electronics
Our client are one of the world's largest suppliers of aerospace and defence products, engaged in designing, manufacturing and servicing systems and components for commercial, regional, business and military aircraft, helicopters and other platforms, also a major supplier to international space programs.
Every second a plane takes off with their equipment on-board. From space exploration and defence to today's more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft - their systems make modern flight possible. And by "make it possible," they mean: they start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quiet it, land it, stop it and monitor it. They have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation.
Job Function Description
The project engineering role is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in project engineering/management with a view to progressing into a management level role. This represents an exciting career development opportunity and a chance to gain an appreciation of the IPT Lead function. NPI project engineers play a pivotal role in ensuring that products/systems are developed to budget, on time and in-line with the highest quality standards. Project engineers help to achieve synchronisation across IPT functions with the aim of ensuring that work packages within projects are delivered seamlessly.
The high quality products they design, produce and service in their Interiors, Actuation and Propeller Systems (IAPS) business allow both passengers and crew members to have a more comfortable experience and greater piece of mind during flight. From lighting and actuation systems to propellers, evacuation systems and seating.
The client has been successful in securing funding for three projects from the UK Government through and is also funding a project named Modular Electronics which will require the development of electronics of which at least 60% of its content can be re-used across the different product ranges developed by the business. The role of the project engineer is to work across the different programmes to align deliverables, work with the different technical leads to plan for different work packages, develop a plan that will lead to convergence between the different projects and ensure minimum to no duplication between the different platforms. The role will require working with several project leads to ensure the programs are tracked and managed across all functions and status is clear/accurate and managed in accordance with standard work procedures. It will provide increased exposure to leading an integrated team of engineers across different sites and interacting with all parties involved. The role should deliver tracking of SPI and CPI and will provide exposure to forecasting and budgeting; working with the Product Family Manager and the project leads.
The predominant role of the project engineer is delivery of the project plan and coordinating activities in support of the IPT. The project engineer is also often a key point of contact for the customer and internal stakeholders, ensuring all stakeholder needs are met. It is the project engineer's responsibility to offer a holistic understanding of project health and needs to guide the IPT in choosing the most expedient courses of action. Other responsibilities may include:
- Project manage the planning and execution of the NPI process. Responsibilities include schedule preparation, pre-planning and resource forecasting for all activities relating to the project. Ensure projects are completed according to project plans that are aligned to business and customer requirements.
- Support execution of the engineering, sourcing, assembly / test and industrialisation of new products with a view to optimising NRC cost, RC cost, deliverable quality and on-time delivery.
- Play a key role in the performance management of vendors.
- Prioritising IPT deliverables whilst offering inter-discipline coordination
- Possess an awareness of all required deliverables. Monitor and improve the overall quality of the work/deliverables
- Ensure daily activities are executed according to the master schedule. Communicate the impact of failures and offer recovery solutions
- Create and manage Key Performance Indices (KPI) and KPI reporting to project stakeholders
- Represent the IPT at a variety of program meetings
- Coordinate and proactively assist the IPT's support in NPI real time problem resolution
- Act as a primary interface for a number of external and internal stakeholders
- Making sure all the IPT's are fully compliant with all company process controls, standard work, ITC regulations
- Degree qualified or has relevant experience in the product line or similar
- Ability to effectively interface with a wide range of professionally qualified external / internal business disciplines
- Highly motivated; able to "make things happen" through direct leadership and the utilisation of others
- A determined, committed individual
- Structured and organised; good planning, reporting and communication skills - able to manage multiple tasks
- Able to assess risk quickly and provide timely corrective actions when needed
"Nice to Have" Qualifications (i.e. desired)
- Possess or be able to gain a thorough understanding of IPT structure and NPI processes
- Be comfortable with operating in a multi-site working environment
- Ability to build relationships with key stakeholders across the IPT/business.
- Ability to work independently, be self-motivated
- Understand the importance of working to timescales and deadlines
- Be an excellent communicator across a variety of medias
- Commercial awareness so that risks and opportunities can be prioritized
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/82259841