Occupational Therapy Assistant- Hereford
National Star in Hereford are looking for an Occupational Therapy Assistant to work with a group of learners who have a range of physical and learning disabilities, including PMLD and ASD. The successful candidate will be supporting our Senior Occupational Therapist in the delivery of high quality therapeutic interventions to promote students learning and supporting their health and wellbeing at our college in Hereford.
Candidates need to have excellent interpersonal skills; be proactive, creative and forward thinking; enjoy networking, planning, setting targets and delivering therapeutic programmes.
The role is 12 hours per week over 39 weeks. (Term Time) - Due to a requirement for this role at our college in Mamhilad as well at 18hrs weekly, consideration will be given to combining the two roles (30 hours per week = pro rata salary of GBP11856 per annum)
Interviews will be held in Hereford 30th July 2018.
Salary: GBP17,400 FTE
Closing Date: 18th July 2018
Responsibilities of the Occupational Therapy Assistant will include:
- To support the Occupational Therapy Service within a college environment and within the community.
- Participate in formal learning sessions working with tutors and learners to ensure the use of therapeutic approaches to foster autonomy and independence.
- To assist the Occupational Therapist with assessment of and therapy for students with a variety of physical and/or learning disabilities, including ASD. This will involve interventions within activities of daily living which are meaningful to the student and maximise participation in occupation
- Assess environment in which interventions are planned to be delivered and adjust in order to maximise student safety, experience and engagement.
- Assess student's current condition within scope of practise as to whether assigned programmes are appropriate. Liaising with Occupational Therapist as required.
- Liaise with students, families, other health care professionals, care and learning programmes staff regarding interventions and management issues for the care of the students.
- Use adapted equipment competently to deliver delegated programmes.
The successful Occupational Therapy Assistant will have:
- At least 2 years previous experience of working with clients with physical and associated disabilities
- Awareness and understanding of the role of an Occupational Therapist
- Good standard of education, Literacy equivalent to Level 2
- NVQ qualification in relevant/related sphere of practice e.g. NVQ in health and social care or similar is desirable, but not essential
- Proactive and creative
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
Benefits of working with National Star:
- Excellent career development opportunities
- Competitive remuneration package
- Health Shield medical cover (after successful probation)
- Excellent working environment & facilities
- Award winning CPD department covering all training needs to include excellent comprehensive induction programme
- Employee Helpline
- Free DBS checks
- Contributory pension scheme
- Employee discounts at many Travel & Attractions, High Street Retailers, Supermarkets and Utilities and Motoring and much more
- NUS card
At National Star, we know the value of a diverse workforce, and welcome applications from all areas of the community. This includes those with disabilities, and we are a proud Disability Confident employer and are committed to providing equal opportunities. In 2018 National Star received an 'Outstanding' from Ofsted.
Please note that all applicants will be expected to undertake a DBS Disclosure, and undergo the necessary employer checks. The level of disclosure to be applied for will be dependent on your job role and will be discussed with you during the recruitment process but is usually an enhanced level. Where appropriate, the adult and child barred lists will be checked and we will not employ anyone who appears on either of those registers.