Working in Retail is at the front line of raising the funds we need to deliver our cause, whilst delivering an exceptional service for our visitors. As well as having an array of stunning product ranges, we partner with local craft artisans to support the sales of unique, local products which really capture the spirit of Carding Mill Valley and the Long Mynd.
In this role, you'll be required to work most weekends and some additional weekdays. We anticipate you'll usually be working 18 hours per week, however you'll need to be flexible.
What it's like to work here
Covering as much as 2,000 hectares (4,942 acres) of heather-covered hills with stunning views of the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Welsh hills, this is an important place for wildlife, geology and archaeology. There are paths for walking, cycling and horse riding, you can even drive to the top of the hill to take in the views. In Carding Mill Valley there are excellent visitor facilities including a tea-room, shop and car parking.
What you'll be doing
With your love of leading people and ability to spot new sales opportunities, you'll assist the Retail Manager in co-ordinating the team to deliver a warm and friendly retail experience. Through supervising and motivating volunteers, you'll manage day to day tasks and ensure the team are engaged to exceed customer service expectations, and are proud to talk about the amazing work the National Trust are carrying out in the outdoors from money that is spent in our shop.
Ensuring the shop is delivering a fantastic retail experience is one half of the role of Supervisor. You'll also need to find exciting new ways to boost sales and maximise profits, which could involve liaising with local artisans, or setting up 'last minute buy' ideas at our tills to increase average transaction value. In fact, when it comes to our retail operations, you'll think of everything, from customer experience, pricing and stock management, to our displays, merchandising and driving profit.
This role will also involve cash handling, and reconciling the tills are part of the end-of-day procedures. You'll also be deputising for the Retail Manager in their absence.
Who we're looking for
To deliver this role successfully, you'll need to be proud to work in such a unique location and thrive on delivering exceptional customer service to drive sales to fund our cause. So, you'll be/have;
- Inspiring and great with people
- Enjoy working with and supervising a team
- Unafraid to give direction and feedback
- Creative and proactive and love seeking out new opportunities
- Inspired to deliver excellent customer service
- Aware of Health & Safety requirements
- Good IT skills
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as GBP2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking