Midlands Trading Lead
Midlands Trading Lead
Job ID: R-63538
The Aviva UK General Insurance SME business is number 1 in the UK SME insurance sector. Our purpose is to provide insurance solutions for commercial customers up to around £100m turnover.
Within Aviva, UK GI SME is part of the UK GI Manufacturing Unit, operating across five regional Trading teams and a digital Trading team which predominantly writes business online. We trade the majority of our business through Insurance Brokers and our core product lines include Property, Motor, Liability and Specialty Risk - Marine, Engineering Financial Lines, GPA and Multinational insurance.
The Trading Lead (Midlands) reports directly to the Head of Mid Market & Head of Trading (Midlands) in the Aviva UK General Insurance business unit.
The Trading Lead has responsibility for delivering c. £165 million GWP (annual) Mid Market business across property, motor, liability and speciality lines, with a large geographical remit. The role holder will be based in Birmingham, with significant travel in line with Broker, employee and key stakeholder needs.
The Trading Lead (Midlands) is accountable for leading a team of around 120 people, largely comprising Underwriting Managers and Trading Underwriters across the region. The role holder will actively contribute to growing the SME business through broadening our distribution capability, simplifying, automating and digitising our core underwriting process, and developing broader customer propositions.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the SME Trading activity in designated regional area.
- To grow SME underwriting profit and achieve required COR
- Accountable for the profitability of Commercial SME Insurance through all broker Segments traded in the Region.
- Lead the team in understanding broker demand from aligned region and market place and create an environment where colleagues feel empowered to solve big issues which get in the way of our overall purpose.
- Actively promote and implement Aviva’s Commercial Underwriting strategy across all Broker Segments.
- Ensure that all Underwriting and Group Risk compliance procedures are in place and operating effectively across the regional team
- Consistently promote and embed Aviva’s brand values with all brokers, customers and employees, leading by example.
- Provide clear communication and gain buy-in to the culture vision and goals for the company throughout the region.
- Ensures that learning is a key part of all roles in order to expand individual levels of capability and drive the development of high performing teams - increasing GWP and APH in line with agreed plans.
Skills & Experience required
Need to know (essential):
- Product and Underwriting knowledge
- Strategic account management
- Leading people and change in a complex environment
- Effective communication skills appropriate to a variety of stakeholders
- Full working knowledge of GI commercial offering and Commercial Underwriting
- In-depth knowledge of trends / patterns within Finance and Insurance sectors
- Market and competitor knowledge
- Relevant Insurance Legislation / regulation
- Broad business perspective and financial acumen
- Strong understanding of Trading Solutions
- Financial management and investment appraisal
- Governance and risk guidelines / procedures
- Project Management and leadership
- Strong people leadership including: team building, motivation, management of remote workers, development, coaching and performance management
- Managing conflict – internally / externally
- IT literate
- Systems thinking methodology (or similar)
- Leadership of large multi-site Commercial Underwriting Team
- External profile in the Regional Broker Market.
- Developing internal / external contacts / relationships
- Developing new business opportunities and raising market profile
- Analysis and interpretation of Management and financial information
- Analysis and interpretation of market conditions
- Developing and implementing business plans
- Budget control
- Resource planning
- Project Management
- Leading large team through others
Need to Be:
The role holder needs to be an energetic leader with a proven passion for innovation and change. We measure our success by our ability to incorporate four core values into all we do:
- Start with the customer
- Be guided by purpose
- In it together as one Aviva
- List priorities on one hand
- Fall fast, learn fast
- Look for scale
- Innovate through uncertainty
- Embrace digital
- Get it done at pace
- Invest with courage
- Strive to develop
- Take the long view
At Aviva SME UK we pride ourselves on building stronger and deeper relationships with people and businesses who want to make smart choices. We develop solutions for our customers that go beyond insurance so we can, Protect what matters most, Prevent bad things from happening and Fix things quickly when they go wrong. We are the insurer of choice for UK SME customers.
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960327743