Head of Sales (Warwick Conferences)
Warwick Conferences is a conference, meeting and events business based at the University of Warwick. We have a diverse range of venues, each offering bespoke spaces, bedrooms and dining.
We also offer the Conference Park; unique spaces and accommodation within the university itself. This is alongside our catering, event management and event production services.
We are looking for an inspirational leader to ensure the profitable and sustainable growth of the existing successful businesses through both sales volume and bottom line profitability; to budget, forecast and plan to achieve optimum yield; to conduct key commercial negotiations and lead, manage and motivate the sales team to continuously meet and exceed financial sales and yield targets and offer exceptional service.
- To develop and implement strategic and tactical business plans, including annual sales targets in accordance with the 5 Year Plan for the Warwick Conferences businesses through the adoption of an innovative, entrepreneurial and collaborative approach.
- To oversee and enable the strategic development of the businesses ensuring improvement in productivity, accuracy and profitability.
- To ensure that the Sales team constantly benchmark against the industry, other universities and conference centres to remain a market leader.
- To monitor competition, media and industry trends and react appropriately in order to maintain market position and profitability.
- To keep up-to-date with and research commercial opportunities in the business tourism market, making the most of networking opportunities to develop a wider understanding of changes and new opportunities.
- To develop, direct and monitor the implementation of policies, procedures and work standards in respect of product, service levels and price to ensure standards are achieved.
- To develop and introduce new packages initiatives and revenue streams to new and existing events to generate further revenue.
- To set challenging targets for the team, including encouraging the development of business activities (with both existing and new clients), innovative approaches to maximising bottom line profitability and creating and designing new opportunities for adding value to existing events.
- To take an active role in supporting the heads of business produce the 5 Year plan for the Warwick Conferences businesses.
- To collaborate with business leads to support in the development of new business streams, looking at market research and making recommendations and suggestions for potential future income generation opportunities across Warwick Conferences.
- In collaboration with the Head of CCSG Marketing, to develop and implement the marketing plan to maintain the recognition and loyalty of the brand, stimulate and create new business opportunities and understand both the market and our customers’ needs and behaviour.
- To visit key clients and partners and prepare and deliver presentations.
- To attend conferences, meetings and events to promote Warwick Conferences.
- To ensure high levels of customer service at all times.
- To lead, manage, develop and train the sales and event management teams to optimise sales, offer an excellent service to clients and develop a truly sales driven culture and to empower the team to come forward with practical solutions for customers’ needs.
- To prioritise and allocate available resources, making recommendations for operational improvement and to ensure optimal service delivery. To provide assistance in resolving client, legal and operational challenges within the team.
- To monitor the business to ensure that staff are meeting goals/ objectives and following policies and procedures. To ensure staff are providing services effectively and efficiently, reviewing and taking corrective actions as appropriate and monitoring progress through financial and non-financial key performance indicators and customer feedback.
- To ensure the team utilises and exploits the potential of IT Systems to improve performance and develop and exploit all viable commercial business opportunities.
- To work with the teams across the Conference businesses to maximise sales opportunities across Warwick Conferences, looking at relevant promotions, offering flexible packages to customers and adding value to the customer.
- To lead and manage the recruitment, development and performance of the Sales team.
- To mentor the management team by directing and supporting their work efforts and to provide professional, enthusiastic leadership in order to maintain quality standards and implement a growth strategy.
- To work with the Head of CCSG Marketing to assist with the production of the Warwick Conferences marketing plan, budgets and forecasts, in order to meet financial targets, continually develop the businesses, and maintain our market leadership.
- To analyse annual budgets and financial proposals, participate in discussions on major financial matters and regularly assess the businesses financial position and performance.