Our client, a major staffing agency with over 100 branches across the UK, is now seeking a Litigation Assistant to join their in-house legal team in the West Midlands. Reporting to the Litigation Manager, the successful applicant will be responsible for the recovery of customer's bad and disputed debts through the Courts and to give advice to the business regarding disputes. As such applicants should have knowledge of Court procedures including preparation of Particulars of Claim and ancillary Court Applications and witness statements, as well as small claims court advocacy experience. A key element of this role is in managing both internal and external relationships throughout the process to protect the business' interests when recovering debts from existing clients; the successful applicant will therefore be able to provide sound advice in a confident and assured manner, providing a balanced perspective to branch personnel, customers, group and operational directors where conflict/disputes exist.
· To evaluate a case and decide on the best course of action available to recover debt, taking into account costs involved, benefits and likely success of Court action;
· To respond to Defences and Counterclaims;
· To represent the businesses at Court Hearings;
· To ensure that all debts are recovered in a timely manner, resolving disputes and giving correct advice;
· To liaise with branches and directors and ensuring that debt is recovered in a timely manner whilst maintaining the business relationship with clients where possible;
· To manage insolvent accounts; and
· To analyse and prepare documentation and witness statements in preparation for legal action.
· Level 3 CILEX qualification or above;
· Knowledge of Litigation procedures and enforcement methods in English , Scottish and Irish Courts and ensure that protocol is followed at all times;
· The ability to communicate and negotiate settlements with customers and their solicitors;
· To be able to communicate clearly by letter and telephone with customers, debtors and their representatives;
· Use negotiation skills to achieve successful recovery of debts without recourse to legal action in order to keep legal costs to a minimum; and
· Sound judgment weighing up costs and likelihood of success of action taken.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.