Transport Planning (Private Sector) - Associate Director
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking to expand and develop its existing successful Transport Planning and Engineering Team. If you are looking to advance your career, we are seeking progressive thinking, dynamic individuals to join and help with the expansion of a new team, based in our recently established City Central Birmingham office. The role represents an excellent opportunity to further develop your career within an award winning and fast growing planning and environmental consultancy.
We are looking for an established career professional to fit within the company’s existing management structure to both develop the Transport Planning and Engineering business whilst helping to manage and develop an enthusiastic team.
You will undertake work at the global, national, regional and local level, often as part of large multi-disciplinary project teams. The workload is extremely varied covering all aspects of the transport agenda, the role will be primarily focused upon delivery of varying sized projects from inception through to delivery.
You will play an important part in the recruitment and continued growth of the team, identifying resource requirements and through the pursuit of business opportunities with both existing and new clients.
Key private and public sector clients include housebuilders, land promoters / developers, commercial, retail & leisure developers, The Crown Estate, Defence Infrastructure Organisation, Homes and Communities Agency, power companies and a wide range of Government Agencies and Local Authorities. As a senior member of the team you will be responsible for the management of internal and external client relationships and the preparation of proposals and bids.
You will be an innovative thinker, able to work on your own at times, and be highly motivated with responsibility to also guide and review the work of less experienced staff.
The work is diverse, and will include:
- Transport Assessment;
- Travel Planning;
- Transport Policy and Strategy;
- Sustainable Transport review, planning & modelling;
- Negotiation of S106, S278 agreements;
- Environmental Impact Assessment;
- Highway Network and Junction Modelling;
- Highways/ junction design;
- Winning Work, Writing Bids;
- Client and Stakeholder Consultation and Liaison; and
- Supporting work for Development Consent Orders and Planning Permissions.
Typically, we would expect 12 or more years relevant experience to have the skills and knowledge required to undertake this role successfully.
Experience within a consultancy environment is a distinct advantage and Local Authority experience is also desirable. The work undertaken by the team is extremely varied and therefore candidates with either a range of skills and experience or particular specialisms will be considered.
You should be able to demonstrate an ability to undertake or apply yourself to business development activities. You will have experience of managing and contributing to multi-disciplinary projects and studies with knowledge and understanding in the planning field, and managing the work of other specialists and less experienced members of the team.
You will have experience of several of the following:
- Commercial and technical management of projects;
- Technical knowledge of the development of highway schemes from inception to delivery including both preliminary and detail designs;
- Staff and team management;
- Supervising, assisting and mentoring team members with regards to both technical and professional development;
- Preparation of fee proposals and PQQ’s;
- Experience in section 38, section 106 and section 278 agreements;
- Detailed knowledge of appropriate standards (DMRB, MfS etc.)
- Detailed knowledge of preparation of specifications and contract documents;
- Preparation of documents to support planning applications;
- Detailed knowledge of NRSWA and other traffic management issues; and
- Providing professional advice to internal and external clients as required.
- You will be a full member of an appropriate accredited institute body
Degree qualified in a subject such as Transport Planning, Traffic / Highway Engineering, Civil Engineering, Planning, Geography, Maths or other relevant qualification.
A driving licence is required.Company Overview
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.