IT Support Technician - East Midlands (M/F)
The Amazon IT teams keep our business running smoothly by resolving complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, with both on-site and on-call capacity for our Operations network.
As an IT Support Technician you will report to the IT Manager in your home site and will be responsible for working closely with the business, fellow technicians and engineers to implement and maintain critical infrastructure elements.
Besides your day-to-day activities, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in projects. You will be a key part of a multinational team and thrive in delivering high-quality results.
Putting your Customers first, you will provide a 1st / 2nd line support service that ensures all IT equipment and infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met on your home site as well as any remote sites that you and your team also support.
- Carrying out execution of change management requests as required (which may include out of hours work).
- Installation, maintenance and support of IT equipment including (but not restricted to) laptops, telecoms equipment, printers, scanners, thin clients and workstations. Some cabling work will also be required (after training).
- Management of imaging of workstations and laptops.
- Ensuring that work is carried out to a high standard and complies with all Amazon polices and guidelines.
- Maximizing availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through continuous improvement and proactive, preventative maintenance, continuously look to improve equipment efficiencies and cost reductions accordingly.
- Delivering outstanding level of service to your Customer base.
- Liaise with contractors or external suppliers and clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
- Providing technical support/input to site and team projects and initiatives.
- Conducting end user equipment trials and testing.
- Undertaking ad-hoc requests and tasking as and when required.
- The management Asset and Inventory management including checks / audits in line with global standards and processes including Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) processes with suppliers.
- Providing assistance to senior engineers as required (which may include out of hours work and travel).
- Managing shift / daily infrastructure and Distribution Frame (MDF/IDF) audits and checks, including the production of shift / daily reports.
This is an hourly role with rotating shift patterns and some out of hours work. It will be paid weekly.
Please note: The position will involve some physical labour. IT Support Technicians execute physical work e.g. working in confined spaces (possibly under the 48 inch crawl space or inside air handlers); lifting up to 15 kg; site cleanliness and maintenance work; accessing elevated spaces (working at height).
- Experience in MS Windows System Support
- Excellent English communication skills (written & verbal). Able to communicate technical information to nontechnical audiences.
- A strong sense of customer service and demonstrable history of excellent customer-facing skills.
- Demonstrable methodical problem solving and excellent analytical skills.
- Able to keep others informed of information that contributes to the performance of the team, department or company (Team player).
- Be self-motivated and able to work alone as well as part of a team.
- Able to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Experience in establishing new processes and procedures as well as following those already in place and always looking for improvements.
- A willingness to roll their sleeves up and be hands-on.
- An good understanding of computers (both hardware and software) and a demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology and to train and learn new skills
- Demonstrable strong initiative (is proactive) and motivation with the ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to be flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
- Ability and willingness to travel including staying away from home for up to one week at a time.
- Two years prior technical (IT) exposure/experience highly favorable, preferably in an operational environment.
- Vendor certification of the following: MS Windows System Support, Cisco knowledge - LAN / WAN and Wireless.
- Some Linux/Unix System Support experience
- IT / ICT vocational or further education qualification would be advantageous
For your convenience, we're bringing the interview to you. Part of the Recruiting process will be a digital video interview (HireVue) in which you will record your answers to our interview questions. Please check your spam/junk folder on a regular basis for any Email communication.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Amazon takes your personal data protection seriously and respects EU and local data protection laws. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize the hiring Amazon company to store your personal data in the electronic database maintained by Amazon Corporate LLC. in the USA or one of its affiliates for the purpose of assessing your suitability for this and future job vacancies and to pursue your recruiting process.
If at any time you want your personal data to be deleted, you simply need to notify the hiring Amazon company. Amazon will not share your personal data with any third party without your prior consent. As part of your interview process with Amazon you may be asked to authorize the hiring Amazon company to separately verify your application data and personal background through a third party service provider.