Senior Tax Manager - R&D
An exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic, growing team in the EY Innovation Incentives group, based in Birmingham. The successful candidate will get the opportunity to work in a diverse team of highly successful tax and industry specialists.
Serving a variety of very high-profile clients (FTSE 100 and 250 multinational companies) as well as exciting Fast Growth technology companies, we support companies in claiming R&D tax credits, which were introduced by the government to encourage UK companies to invest in innovation.
You will be required to work closely with senior and lead engineers of our clients across the relevant engineering sectors, as well as their senior tax and finance colleagues, and will be responsible for building and enhancing relationships, and overseeing end-to-end delivery of their R&D claims preparation projects. You will play an active role in identifying and developing opportunities in the market, building relationships with clients, and then managing the delivery of claims. This will include team leadership and review of deliverables including technical reports.
This opportunity is ideal for an existing senior R&D advisor, someone with significant professional services experience at a Manager or Senior Manager grade; or someone in a technology-related, client-facing account management role, wishing to use their industry knowledge in a creative and analytical way and looking for an opportunity to take a leading role with clients. This role will require you to work in close collaboration within a team-based and consultancy environment. It will also require you to have strong technical knowledge, interpersonal and communication skills, project management skills and client relationship-building abilities
Your key responsibilities
- Building an internal and external network; enabling you to identify and pursue opportunities to support clients in making claims
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients to provide high levels of client service
- Interaction with clients' senior finance and tax staff, to explain the incentives available and our approach to supporting them in accessing these
- Leading an effective project team, exhibiting strong communication skills and being able to work collaboratively with other team members of different skill sets
- Interaction with clients' senior technical and engineering staff in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of the projects undertaken and identify how aspects of projects meet the R&D Guidelines
- Writing and reviewing compelling technical project reports to bring out the key technical factors of client projects to support R&D claims
- Application of advanced problem solving skills and critical thinking to apply to project execution and delivery
- Responsible for high-quality delivery of advice and solutions to major clients, ensuring management of risk and reputation
- A keen desire to adapt and flex existing knowledge to different engineering sectors and build on the core capabilities
Skills and attributes for success
- Ideally, you will have work experience in industry as an engineer
- You have a passion for meeting new people and building new relationships
- You have experience in and understanding of the types of technology challenge industry professionals' face.
- You have the ability to swiftly adapt to and learn about different industry sectors - such as automotive, aerospace, defence, electronics and have strong business acumen
- You interact readily with other technical professionals, have outstanding interpersonal skills and excel in eloquence and concise summary of information
- Strong attention to detail and first-time accuracy is essential
- Interest in project and company finances and the application of tax treatment
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.
Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
Who we are:
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.