Gasoline Engine Component Systems Manager
The purpose of the job is to lead, manage and develop the engine component systems group to define concepts and steer definition of system design specifications, assuring delivery of validated commodities and engine units into production through the AML product development process framework.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Role Function: Lead, manage and develop the engine component systems group to ensure robust hardware delivery into engine projects by providing technical direction using comprehensive engineering experience. Seek and evaluate new technology and engage the group in advanced engineering opportunities commensurate with AML cycle planning.
- Technology: Steer the engine component systems group to acquire and evaluate industry, competitor and emerging technology information compatible with project targets and advanced engineering direction to ensure modular component platform readiness to support product cycle planning.
- Knowledge & Methodology: Be responsible for AML engines IPR. Protect and enhance knowledge, including patent registrations, research collaborations, engineering guidelines and standards. Enforce assurance measures, within the system platform group, that engine product development projects avoid IPR and legislation infringement.
- Resource Planning: Evaluate resource requirements to support engine projects and advanced engineering activity, ensuring capacity and capability. Implement best practices. Recruit, realign and provide training to fill resource voids.
- Programmes: Guide the system leaders to plan and deliver systems within the AM-Mission system framework. Validate and ensure consistency of sub-system commodity plans across all programmes ensuring sufficient resources and funding to deliver. Work with the engine programme managers to track project progress across all engine systems, highlighting areas of risk and opportunity and resolve conflicts accordingly.
- Quality: Promote and optimise AML engineering and quality systems (DFMEAs, Robustness Studies, QHR) to ensure process readiness and guide system engineers deployment to prevent, identify and resolve potential quality concerns during product development.
- Cost: Guide system leaders and programme managers in definition of programme cost targets, working with suppliers to deliver systems that achieve project targets (Tooling, Engineering and Piece).
- Weight: Steer system leaders in definition of programme weight targets and guide the design process to ensure target achievement.
- Package: Guide system leaders in compliance of engine and vehicle package targets and support the project manager to arbitrate mutually acceptable solutions.
- Assembly: Steer system leaders to ensure that engine components and units can be assembled into engines and vehicles repeatedly in conformance to manufacturing engineering feasibility.
- Change Management: Validate and approve engine component Engineering Release Notification submissions. Steer the resolution to any releasing issues that prevent completion within planned timing.
- FMA & Issue Resolution: Promote and provide best practice knowledge and processes to enable system groups to deliver components and systems within the Mission product development framework. Promote appropriate problem solving tools (8D, 6Sigma) and empower the system groups to utilise guided processes and reporting methods.
- FDJ (final data judgement): Guide the system leaders throughout the design and analysis phases to ensure that each project FDJ checkpoint is successfully approved.
- FEC (final engineering completion): Guide the system leaders throughout the development and testing phases to ensure that each project FEC checkpoint is successfully approved with appropriate documentation.
Qualification & Experience:
- Educated to degree level or higher in a relevant engineering discipline
- Expected to demonstrate technical expertise across a number of core engine systems.
- Previous delivery of engine components and systems, and powertrain units into production using a product development process framework
- Experience in research or advanced engineering.
- Engine system or sub-system design and development experience.
- Operating as a leader within an engineering product development team.
- Managing sub-ordinates functionally and operationally.
- Knowledge of patent application processes and searches
- Experience working within academic or consultancy collaborations
- Should be able to prioritise multiple tasks for self and manage the workload of platform team.
- Must be flexible and able to communicate at all levels.
- Must be able to lead and manage people, on operational and personal level.
- Must be conscientious, self-motivated and driven to achieve results.
- Office based with engineering support for prototype workshop and production line as required.
- Visits to suppliers’ facilities / testing locations (UK and worldwide) or the engine manufacturing plant.
- Driving licence and medical clearance to use high speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960306810