Project Design Engineer (Mechanical Design - Automotive Components)
Project Engineer (Mechanical Design – Automotive Components)
We have a great opportunity to join a global developer and supplier of integral parts and components to the Automotive sector. The organisation currently works with some of the most iconic automotive brands around the world and has developed a strong reputation for quality, reliability and performance in the many years since its creation.
Based within the Midlands Research and Development department is a small team of Project Engineers who hold responsibility for working directly with a car manufactures concept team to ensure requirements and new product development projects can be easily transferred into a design that meets internal and supplier manufacturing and quality needs.
The Midlands site offers direct services to two of the biggest names in the British Automotive Industry, whilst also supporting their Head Offices and sister offices in Germany, China and the USA. This means that the project teams will often be required to attend face to face meetings with customers across the Midlands & UK, but also travel overseas a couple of times throughout the year.
Reporting to the Design Project Manager the role will carry out the following duties:
- Support Contract negotiations with customers and suppliers (New and existing)
- Liaise with customer in-house design and concept teams
- Generate drawings and CAD models for purchasing to obtain sub-supplier quotations
- Develop fully defined designs in liaison with customers
- Ensure design meets internal FEA and Strength tests (Via internal FEA Dept)
- Ensure relevant tests are carried out with supporting documentation
- Make sure designs meet the correct criteria for manufacturing
- Make sure all designs meet cost and quality targets
- Manage any concerns in the Design and Development phase to ensure resources and materials are not wasted.
- Support and mentor junior staff
- Provide technical guidance and experience to colleagues and partners
- Support other internal Design projects.
The right candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience working in a Project Engineering position that requires mechanical CAD duties and direct liaison with other parties.
The right candidate will also be formally qualified in an engineering discipline (HNC/ HND / Degree) with good proven exposure of 3D CAD.
A strong Mechanical Engineering understanding is essential for this position, with knowledge of manufacturing processes such as Castings, Forgings, Machining and Fabrications.
Candidates should also be familiar with creating BOM’s and creating detailed calculated project plans that account for GD&T, DFMEA’s and VA,VE.
Candidates should also be confident communicators with the ability to present documentation written and verbally to customers, suppliers and internal departments.
The positon will offer a great opportunity to work on a number of simultaneous projects at the same time with the support of the organisations global group. There is plenty of opportunity to develop a successful career path and move into high positions of responsibility locally and internationally.
The important key factor of this position is the ability to take a customer’s idea and concept and physically be able to turn that into a “fit for purpose” component or product that will often become an integral part of a high performance vehicle.
This position will suit a problem solving mechanical biased engineer who can use CAD to support progress, who also has the ability to understand a specific requirement and then find a suitable solution to allow the project to go through all the relevant gateways.
The position is open to engineers from all industry backgrounds, as long as it is
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960302838