Principal Procurement Officer
Umbrella rate: £17.50 an hour
Working on behalf of a Local Authority, Aatom Recruitment has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Principal Procurement Officer on a 3 month contract. They would like someone who has the experience and knowledge in the following:
Purpose of the role -
- To support the Category Managers in delivering a cohesive strategy for the management of a designated Category of services and/or commodities and to promote innovative approaches to procurement, directly establishing new methods of delivery to achieve targeted procurement savings and best value in procurement across the whole Council.
- To deliver sound commercial management approaches and advice on the procurement of goods and services to ensure Value for Money is optimised and compliance with the Council's Contract Procedure Rules, legislation and best practice.
- To manage and develop any support staff allocated to the team.
Duties and Responsibilities -
- Manage procurement processes and lead procurement related projects in conjunction with Council directorates in order to deliver compliant and effective outcomes for the Council, in line with the Category Management Strategy set by the Category Manager.
- Monitor and control EU Procurements undertaken by directorates to ensure adherence to procurement legislation.
- Provide system and procedural training to internal service users and external bodies to promote good practice and reduce risk to the Council.
- Provide guidance and support to other Council departments responsible for undertaking devolved procurement activities on the most appropriate procurement route to satisfy their requirements and to ensure compliance with internal procedures and legislative requirements, ensuring value for money.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategic category sourcing plans by gathering, analysing and effectively interpreting spend data and market intelligence in order to support the Council's corporate aims and objectives.
- Contribute to the development, compilation and implementation of procurement systems and policies with the aim of providing robust controls whilst minimising unnecessary bureaucracy and optimising the procurement process.
- Maintain an accurate and up to date register of all live contracts in order to provide a source of information for Council officers and to comply with open data requirements.
- Provide oversight and guidance to support the effective management of a range of contracts
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience -
- Professional procurement experience in a complex environment
- Understanding of regulations governing public sector procurement.
- Experience of managing projects, awarding and managing contracts
- Experience providing advice and support on good practice in contracting.
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills at all levels
- Strong analytical and IT skills
- It is desirable that you have or are commencing CIPS Diploma / NVQ Level 3 in Procurement or equivalent.
- Experience of establishing, awarding and managing contracts across a range of goods, works and services
- Experience of managing projects.
- Experience of providing advice and support to third parties on good practice in contracting.
- Experience of undertaking analysis of spend, markets, supplier trends and capabilities
- Experience of training in procurement areas.
- Experience of using e-procurement and financial management systems.
- Experience of establishing, awarding and managing contracts under the European Union Procurement Directives
- Qualified to A' level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of e-tendering and e-procurement systems