Night Shift - Toolmaker
Do you have experience of working with toolroom and inspection equipment?
Do you enjoy working nights?
Are you a time served apprentice in a manufacturing or engineering discipline?
Are you able to work in a fast paced, team orientated environment?
If so, you could be perfect for this role. We are currently looking to recruit a Toolmaker for one of the world's premier global automotive suppliers. Our client is establishing a new facility in the Telford area in which they will specialise in high pressure die-casting that will design and build medium to large aluminium automotive components.
The Toolmaker will report into the Toolroom Supervisor and will be responsible for the maintenance of the tooling along with supporting the Toolroom Supervisor in the smooth running of the Toolroom.
The tooling technician will have a wide and varied role from attending unplanned breakdowns on tooling equipment to implementing daily preventative maintenance, working as a team or an individual to achieve the company goals.
- Preparation and maintenance of existing tooling according to requirements.
- Effectively identifies day to day tooling issues and implements corrective action where required.
- Cleaning of all production tooling to ensure on time delivery and schedule adherence goals are met.
- Ensures all tooling is safe and production ready at the time returned for production use, following correct preventative maintenance (PM) process.
- Ensures Leader is advised when assignments cannot be completed as planned.
- Supports coordination of engineering changes and supports maintenance of spare parts.
- Prepares and tests tools by laying out / setting up / machining.
- May design / make tools / templates to produce prototype parts of various materials including generating bill of material and complete fabrication and validation.
- Verifies conformance of machined and/or repaired tools to specifications by checking dimensions / clearances / alignments.
- May make parts of various plant machines and tools as required.
- Fits and assembles parts and test completed tools for proper operation.
- Sets up and carefully monitors tools and performs inspections prior to removing tooling from the machine.
- Follow up repair work by seeking feedback from the production and quality departments and completing a record of the work undertaken.
Job Role Requirements
- Time served apprentice in relevant discipline.
- Excellent hand tool skills. (hand tools will be supplied)
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
- Experience in working with Toolroom equipment including overhead cranes.
- Experience in Inspection equipment. (micrometer, height indicator, etc.),
- Experienced in using milling machine, lathe, surface grinder, bench grinder, rockiniser etc.
- Ability to follow and execute the preventative maintenance program.
- Strong communication skills at all levels within the business.
- Able to manage and prioritise numerous tasks.
- Experience in manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge in vacuum die-set servicing and maintenance preferably aluminium.
- Die casting experience.
- Experienced in repairing support tooling in casting shop. (Trim tools, spray heads, straightening tools etc.)
- Experience using CNC machines Lathes, millers and grinders.
- TIG and MIG welding capabilities.
- Good knowledge of engineering materials. Steels, alloys etc.
- Understanding of CMM reports.
- Experience of repair and maintenance of hydraulic systems including repair of cylinders and pipework.
- Knowledge of 5S methodology
- Good interpersonal skills with "hands on" problem solving expertise
- Work collaboratively to achieve project/company goals
- Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritise to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Good analytical skills
- Strong communicator both written and verbal
- Ability in influence and manage stakeholders
- Very organised
- Proactive in approach with a "can do attitude"
- Flexibility to travel overseas at short notice when required
- Full Driving Licence
If you're interested in applying for this role, please do not hesitate. Send us your CV and if we feel you match the role, a member of our excellent recruitment team will be in touch to discuss your application.