Legal Secretary - Litigation
Job Title: Legal Secretary - Part Time (18 hours per week)
Division: Agriculture / Civil Litigation, Worcester
Tasks and Activities
- To undertake all work of a secretarial nature as may be requested by any fee earner including typing, photocopying, making and taking phone calls.
- To undertake such work as may be delegated by your Fee Earner or Partner in relation to client matters or any administrative duties that may be required.
- To take and record accurately any message and pass the same on to the appropriate person without delay.
- To make appointments and maintain up to date diary entries.
- To assist with file management and ensure consistent reviews of files.
- To ensure accurate time recording of all work undertaken by your fee earner.
- To assist your Fee Earner or Partner in prioritising the client matter and when appropriate advise the client and others of the progress of the matter.
- Attending clients and others when appropriate on behalf of the Fee Earner or Partner. Taking accurate instructions for your fee earner's attention.
- To deal with filing, storage and retrieval of client's papers and files, opening and closing of files, storage of deeds and other papers all in accordance with firm policies.
Responsibilities and aims
- To assist with the implementation of good working practices in line with firm procedures.
- To use initiative on all matters.
- To carry out and produce work to the highest possible standards.
- To adhere to and implement the firm's guidelines and policies as defined in the office manual.
- To use correctly the firm's office equipment including franking machine, photocopier and computers and to report any faults.
- To ensure confidentiality and security for all firm and client documentation and information.
- To undertake any specific training course as and when required.
- To maintain clear and precise communications with other members of staff and to assist other secretaries when required.
- To comply with all office Health and Safety standards.
Skills and experience
- Experience of working as a Legal Secretary, previous experience in litigation an advantage
- Competent touch typist.
- Competent audio typist.
- IT literate with experience of the Microsoft Office suite of applications e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook (SOS case management system desirable).
- Excellent telephone manner and experience of dealing with clients.
- Well developed organisational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
The details outlined in this job description reflect the content of the post at the date the job description was prepared. It is inevitable that over time the nature of employee's jobs will change, existing duties may be lost and other duties gained without changing the general character of the work or level of responsibility entailed. It is intended that this job description will be revised from time to time in discussion with the post holder
In addition, you may be expected to perform other duties commensurate with this position or as required to assist the business needs. Any additional tasks will be kept within your abilities and skills range, and training will be provided if necessary. Such agreement should not be unreasonably withheld.