Advanced Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
Our client operates both chemical and physical testing laboratories where the Laboratory Technician Apprentice will support the team to carry out a variety of tests for their customers. This role is primarily for the physical testing lab but there will also be opportunity to work in the chemical laboratory. You will help to carry out both routine and one-off laboratory tests and perform a variety of technical support functions within the laboratories. Our client is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) and work to Quality Assurance processes and requirements.
You will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. You will be required to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken.
Typical work activities
At the end of the apprenticeship you will have the ability to:
- Work safely in a laboratory, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems.
- Perform a wide range of analytical and quality assurance laboratory tests following defined test methods and producing reliable and consistent data.
- Prepare samples.
- Compile test results and prepare reports.
- Maintain and operate laboratory analytical instruments.
- Handle internal/external queries in a timely and professional way.
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked, resourced and the work area is tidy.
- Maintain good accurate written records of work carried out.
- Use computers and perform mathematical calculations for the preparation of graphs.
- Understand and follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace.
- Keep up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Conduct searches on identified topics relevant to the research.
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks to perform these duties in an accurate and timely manner.
- Develop and apply theoretical knowledge of relevant science and technology required for the sector & job role.
You will work with industry experts and learn to blend theory with practical skill and tackle a variety of scientific challenges.
Our client's Apprenticeship programme blends on the job practical experience with day release at a college for theoretical learning. They are committed to developing the talent of new entrants into the sector.
From day one you will be working with industry experts helping you to develop world class skills. You will work in an energised and supportive environment with a personal mentor and earn a competitive salary.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Computer literate, particularly data entry
- Good team working skills
- Good organisation skills
- Logical thinking to be able to apply processes
- Concerns for standards
- Manual dexterity
- Interest in physics and engineering
- Ability to produce accurate information and attention to detail
- Aptitude for hands-on, laboratory work
- Confidence to work independently
- Aptitude for learning
- Will possess 5 GCSEs Grades A - C in English, Science, Maths (or equivalent).
Future prospects Upon successful completion of this apprenticeship, there would be potential opportunities for progression to Scientist and Senior Scientist roles; with support in gaining qualifications. About the employer our client is a materials technology business operating across the globe in a range of industrial sectors. They create and deliver game-changing Materials Technologies and processes enabling their clients to develop the products of the future and enhance competitive advantage and market position, supported by their world-leading Testing & Characterization labs and their Product Optimization team.
Applications You can apply directly from this site and if you are selected as a suitable candidate, you may be asked to first register with the Government's apprenticeship service.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75478307