Senior Engineer - Highways
Location: Birmingham City Centre (Temporarily Sutton Coldfield)
Kier Strategic Highways are looking to recruit a Senior Engineer who will report to the Team Manager/Principal Engineer. The successful post holder will be responsible for the delivery of technical outputs of projects or service areas to the meet the client's brief.
- Undertaking services within an engineering environment which may include (but are not limited to); scheme investigation, site and structure inspections, data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents, works/construction inspection and supervision to progress scheme design, development and construction.
- Managing the delivery of technical outputs of project teams.
- Acting as Lead Designer on work undertaken by the team.
- Contributing to technical excellence and innovation across the team.
- Ensuring personal utilisation targets are met.
- Contributing to Value Management / Engineering to support Principal Engineers and Project Managers in ensuring that schemes are delivered with innovation.
- Communicate, deliver and implement improvements to SHEQ within all aspects of projects.
- Carrying out the checking and certifying of design deliverables (including drawings specifications, professional skill and care certificates, reports and contract documents), and authorising where appropriate.
- Providing technical input to brief responses and proposals for new work.
- Ensuring that delivery is achieved in accordance with the company's management systems including Health and Safety, project and risk management.
- Developing the talent within the team by coaching and mentoring Engineers, Technicians and Graduates and supporting their technical career development aspirations.
- Supporting managers with provision of information on the technical performance of staff for performance appraisal purposes.
- Actively promoting Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- To be a chartered / incorporated member of a relevant professional institution (MICE/MCIHT) or demonstrably progressing towards this level of attainment and possessing equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable broad in-depth experience in design of highway maintenance or improvement schemes to UK standards.
- Experience of using relevant software.
- Competent MX and Civils 3D user.
- Experience of working on design and build contracts (desirable).
- Knowledge and experience of the main management systems & processes used within a similar business.
- Able to carry out technical compliance checks for project team outputs.
- Must be computer literate. Ability to work without supervision essential, you will have the drive and determination to meet targets.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate globally across a range of sectors including defence, education, health, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
With a network of 88 UK offices Kier offers national coverage across all of its core activities. Employing 22,000 people, Kier has the financial strength and technical expertise to undertake some of the most significant construction, civil engineering and service contracts in the country.
Kier is an equality and diversity employer.