Traffic Impact Assessor and Modeller
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Due to continued growth and investment, Highways England is seeking to recruit a new Traffic Impact Analyst, based in Birmingham.
The successful applicant will be responsible for providing analysis and advice on High Speed 2 construction impact on the Strategic Road Network. This includes any development of models and analytical tools to test the impact of HS2 construction and provide future predictions and communicate analysis with internal and external stakeholders. This person will also carry out in-depth research and studies as required by Highways England and will be based in the Performance Analysis Unit in Birmingham and work closely with the Transport Planner who will be working on the HS2 impact and scenario testing. The person will work to directions provided by the HS2 Delivery Team and the HS2 Transport Planner.
Day to day
- HS2 Advice
The job holder will be responsible for the provision of analysis and advice to the High Speed 2 Delivery Team and High Speed 2 Planning Team to make certain that the public's best interests, in relation to the effect on the Strategic Road Network, are safeguarded during the construction period of HS2.
- Traffic Impact Assessment
The job holder will be responsible for carrying out impact assessment for the construction options and crossing proposals by the HS2 Ltd. The assessment will cover the multiple schemes that are likely to be progressing at the same time. The purpose of the assessment is to measure the impact of HS2 construction on the operation of the SRN and provide advice to the Highways England Senior Management.
- Transport Modelling
The Job holder will be able understand and interpret the outputs from strategic transport models and if necessary run micro-simulation models to answer the queries and carry out impact assessments.
- Analytical Assurance
Provide analytical assurance for HS2 impact assessments and analysis in line with the Highways England Analytical Assurance Framework. Assessing the appropriateness, compliance and uncertainty of analysis gives decision-makers the confidence the outcomes are fit for purpose.
- Collaborative working
Work collaboratively with HS2 Delivery and Planning Teams, Operational Research Analysts, Transport Planners and Economists within the Chief Analyst Division and other analysts within the company. Liaise and consult with technical experts from and manage external consultants on analytical projects on behalf of Highways England.
- Predictive Modelling and Operational Research
Develop and use Operational Research modelling techniques to build predictive models that will quantify and value different outcomes in given options and scenarios. Using OR techniques and methodologies, carry out deep dive analysis on specific subjects; respond to requests relating HS2 Teams and wider Performance Analysis and Modelling Group objectives.
- Experience of applying Operational Research principles, theories and concepts to complex analytical assignments including the building of predictive models.
- Experience of carrying out difficult analytical assignments, at pace, and to be able to communicate the results to a senior management audience effectively.
- Degree in Operational Research or another numerical discipline with at least five years of relevant work experience in an Operational Research Analyst role.
- Experience of Operational Research techniques, Data Analytics and competence in a range of mathematical modelling and statistical techniques.
- Understanding of transport models (strategic to microsimulation and capacity/demand models); including how and where transport models should be used in the development of evidence bases.
- Working experience of assessing the impact of traffic management through modelling
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great m
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75401564