Supply Maths Lecturer - HMP Featherstone
Milton Keynes College is working in partnership with HMP Featherstone to put education at the heart of the prison system.
Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team at HMP Featherstone are seeking experienced Maths Lecturers to cover Mathematics courses for a diverse group of learners within the prison. This is an exciting time for prison education and this is a great opportunity to experience prison teaching as a variable hours tutor covering part and full time hours.
We are looking for passionate and dedicated teachers to cover the above courses with the flexibility to be scheduled to work on an ad-hoc basis. Experience embedding E&D and Employability is essential in order to successfully deliver the curriculum.
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
- Able to apply for an NUS Extra Card and Blue lights card, offering a wide range of High Street Discounts
- Access to the Teachers Pension Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Continued Professional Development Opportunities
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Access to 'JUICE' the employees' health and wellbeing platform
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Contributions towards Eye Tests for Visual Display users
- Plus, many more
This role is basedat HMP Featherstone which is a Category C, male, aged 21+ training prison located in Wolverhampton. The last OFSTED inspection was graded as a 2.
The education department work closely with the prison and other providers and career services to create a pathway for prisoners to focus on and work towards, to achieve an end goal and be ready for transfer or release and employment.
We have a strong, committed team which includes teachers who deliver to small cohorts of prisoners offering many courses including maths, English, IT, business, construction, cleaning, practical horticulture and barbering from Entry Level up to Level 2.
Learning is designed to be inspiring and creative and provides a valuable learning experience within a positive environment; where learners can thrive and achieve. The department believes in making a difference and providing a positive contribution to assist with changing the mind-set of learning and to reducing reoffending.
Location: HMP Featherstone
Hours: Sessional / Ad-hoc cover
Salary: GBP23.52 (per delivery hour)
Closing date: 6th September 2017
As a successful candidate you will:
- A full teaching qualification (DTTLS, PGCE, Cert Ed)
- Teaching/training or vocational experience in a relevant discipline/subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- A proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
- Experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- The ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- A good level of IT literacy and willing to develop further.
- Accuracy and precision in written presentation.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience.
The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education.
In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 28 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.