The role is Property Accountant will be required to produce occupancy finance reporting to enable the Property Accounting Supervisor to report business performance to the Estates Finance Manager.
Execute accounting processes (including period-end transactions and journals) in the core finance systems and validate outputs of direct reports to drive completion of accurate and representative financial statements in line with the agreed deadlines and quality standards.
Responsible for accurate reporting and balance sheet reconciliations of the business.
What I need to do:
Process the following occupancy transactions in line with pre-determined timelines
and the financial controls framework submitting outputs to the Property Accounting
Supervisor for review
Review and posting of periodic journals for rent, rates and service charges,
debtors, VAT, insurance, car park income accounting
Balance Sheet Reconciliations raising issues with Property Accounting Supervisor
Monitoring of provisions for Onerous Leases and Dilapidations
Payment Authority Governance
Management Accounting Schedules & reporting (Orange/Red Book)
Use data from outsource partner on property payment and receipts
- Support external audit preparation
- Identify where financial controls are not operating as required and drive remediation
- Support the delivery of Finance improvement initiatives and implementation of internal & external best practices to enhance process efficiency and quality of outputs including:
- Data quality improvements
- Elimination, simplification and/or automation of transactional activities (e.g. journals, period end, reconciliations etc.)
- Reporting improvements e.g. report rationalisation, design and implementation
- Share relevant tools and lessons learnt with Finance & Non-Finance stakeholders
- Apply technical accounting expertise facilitate internal audits and support external audit preparation
How I will succeed:
- Ability to deliver balance sheet reconciliations and P&L schedules for the management accounts with appropriate commentary in the required time frame.
- Feedback from manager
- No surprises (variances > GBP0.5m) at half year and year end relating to the Occupancy area.
- Clean audit half year / full year sign-off and no major audit letter points.
- Strong talk back scores for the Property and IS Accounting team.
What I need to know:
- Studying towards a professional accounting qualification
- Strong analytical skills, Excel skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work fluidly with data and across systems e.g. reporting tools
What I need to show:
- Team player with good presentation and communication skills (both verbal & written)
- Ability to work collaboratively with key stakeholders (e.g. in Estates)
- Organisational and prioritisation skills
- Some experience in driving process simplification and improvements
- Experience in Estates accounting and reporting
- Some experience in Finance reporting or Financial controlling
- Experience in using systems that support financial accounting and reporting processes (e.g. Oracle, Lawson, and other reporting tools)
- Experience in a large company environment, preferably retail (desired)