Assistant Director - Investment and Finance
Working for this Pension fund you will lead on development and delivery of Investment Strategy for both the Pension Fund and Integrated Transport Fund
· Oversee implementation and advise on the financial and risk management of the Funds’ assets, cashflow and operational financial management
· Ensure integration of the funding and investment strategies, and compliance with LGPS and other relevant regulations, policies, guidance and best practice
· Deliver a customer-focused and cost effective service in line with the Fund Service Plan
1. To deputise for the Director of Pensions and lead on the development and implementation of investment strategy
2. Work collaboratively with partners to advise on, review and maintain the Investment Strategy and associated Investment Strategy Statements, alongside the Funding Strategy Statements
3. Maintain and develop the Fund policies and strategies for Responsible Investment, working with partners to build effectiveness
4. Monitor, drive and oversee the cost of investment management activity, benchmarking and analysing alongside investment performance to ensure value for money
Investment Strategy and operations
5. Oversee implementation of investment strategy and ensure compliance with the guidelines, polices and risk budget agreed with the Pensions Committee
6. Work with partners and the LGPS Central investment pool to complete transition of investment implementation and manager monitoring to the pool
7. Review investment strategy in the context of an evolving liability profile and employer covenant
8. Develop and oversee modelling and scenarios to test and challenge investment strategy, enhancing return and risk management strategies
9. Identify factors and/or events which could have a significant impact on the Fund and develop in partnership, solutions to protect or enhance return and manage risk
10. Implement strategies to enhance return, manage risk and cost, within guidelines agreed with Pensions Committee
11. Analyse and challenge financial performance and cost information, investigating and resolving any emerging issues
12. Monitor the Fund cashflow requirement and programme of contribution and investment commitments alongside benefit outflow projections
13. Oversee regulatory and compliance reporting in relation to Fund investment activity
Service delivery and development
14. Develop and deliver materials to interpret advice, analysis and communicate complex financial information, modelling and issues in plain English, to enable discussion, consultation and decision making
15. Deliver information, reports and training as required to key stakeholders including the Pensions Committee and Local Pension Board
16. Contribute to industry wide discussion, liaising with relevant bodies to develop industry practice and change, developing relationships with peers and key stakeholders and their representatives
17. Leading meetings with senior external parties regarding future strategy and performance.
18. Ensure timely reporting and management of change to ensure delivery to customer needs and expectations
Full postgraduate professional qualification (e.g. CFA or AIMR, CCAB, FIA)
Educated to a degree level or equivalent
Investment experience and demonstrated investment competence at a Strategic level.
Extensive experience in relationship management and analysis and communication of complex financial information to a variety of stakeholders
Significant management experience
Evidence of leading and managing a specialist team of people.
Extensive knowledge of investment matters relevant to large defined benefit pension funds, the legislative and regulatory framework in the UK and associated funding and investment strategy considerations.
Ability to analyse, interpret and challenge complex financial information and models.