About Volvo Cars
Would you like a career with Volvo Cars, and to be part of our vision to be the world’s most desired and progressive premium car brand?
Would you like work with people who have a passion for customers and cars, in a role which challenges you and which commands respect?
We are a 102-strong dealership network, supported by Volvo Car UK’s head office in Maidenhead, and a training centre in Daventry. We welcome enthusiastic, customer-focused applicants for roles in our growing business.
Since 1927, Volvo Cars’ philosophy has been to put people first. This applies both to our customers and to our team. We are passionate about Volvo’s role in the motor industry; delivering pioneering innovations that protect people and make life simpler. This is at the heart of everything we do. It’s what makes us different from other car companies. We believe our global success will be driven by making life less complicated for people, while strengthening our commitment to safety, quality and the environment.
TMS Coventry Volvo are looking for a Workshop Controller who will take pride in bringing Volvo Cars’ brand values to life, making people feel valued and respected while maximising business opportunities.
An award winning family owned and run business, proud of offering a consistent, premium customer experience that our customers trust and can rely on. We look after our team by offering an excellent benefits package and career development opportunities.
About the role
A new role created by our increasingly busy workshop environment, to control a current workforce of 7 technicians and 2 apprentice technicians. The candidate should be extremely organised with a flexible approach. During 2018 will see a full refurbishment of our premises, and organisation of the workshop environment will be key during this time. Following on from our refurbishment will see implementation of an new workshop concept called Volvo Personal Service, in which the role will evolve and develop.
Primary tasks and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a safe and productive environment - including workshop housekeeping, access to tools and equipment, COSHH, tool maintenance and calibration
- Ensure diagnostic, maintenance, servicing and repair work is carried out to the highest standards of safety and quality possible.
- Ensure that all work is of the quality to ensure outstanding customer service and satisfaction.
- Ensure that materials and equipment is used efficiently and the effective use of labour is maximised.
- Control and supervise staff in the use of equipment, tools and best repair methods.
- Create an environment of high team spirit and best practise.
- Enhance the reputation of TMS Coventry. at every opportunity when interacting with others.
- Responsible for gathering the team and performing the daily meeting. Responsible for following the agenda and to encourage and coach the team to report problems.
- Responsible for following up on the decided team KPI:s and visualizing them on the Visual Planning board in the workshop.
- Responsible to pre check and follow the daily planning for the team, in order to predict the need for support.
- Should be booked just enough to ensure being the first line of support for Personal Service Technican. If PST encounters problems concerning the production planning and the planned work during the day, the candidate should be able to help the PST/team to avoid inconvenience for the customer.
- Responsible for coaching and supporting the PST with both technical and administrative issues.
- Responsible for coordinating the improvement work in the workshop environment. By following up what goes on in the workshop, the candidate is well suited to both identify issues as well as planning the actions to eliminate the problem.
- Skills and qualities to mentor, coach, supervise and motivate a labour force.
- Skills to identify strengths, weaknesses, training needs and other support required by technician and workshop staff.
- Ability to explain repairs and work undertaken to customers, discuss issues of a technical nature, and when required, to agree workable solutions to customer problems.
- Ability to maintain personal technical knowledge and skills and remain up to date on best working practices.
- Technical qualifications and the ability to apply knowledge in the workplace.
- Patience, empathy and a calm and organised approach to problem solving.
- A background in the OEM franchise motor trade
- An awareness of the commercial impact of workshop operations
- An understanding of workshop KPIs and the ways in which they are influenced
- A track record of managing, coaching & developing people
- A working knowledge of CDK Autoline/Kerridge DMS and information systems
- A working knowledge of Volvo warranty requirements
- Customer handling and complaint resolution
The basic salary is competitive and there will also be an opportunity to earn additional bonuses.
30 days holiday including bank holidays and company pension scheme.
We select the very best applicants to join our business, and in return we will work with you to develop your career. We want you to shine - and we look forward to helping you do so.
If your application is successful, you will be enrolled on a personalised Volvo Cars induction programme, designed to give you all the skills and knowledge needed to deliver a premium experience to all our customers. This will be a blend of product, systems, and skills training including instructor led courses at Volvo Car UK’s Training and Development Centre in Northamptonshire, e-learning and