Manager, Write Here Ltd.
Or could you be? We’ve got a pen and stationery shop and online business. We need someone who is good with people, technology, words, numbers and learning new stuff quickly to manage our staff team and build the business.
Write Here is an independently owned shop on the High Street in Shrewsbury. We sell social stationery, art materials and pens and – Write Here is one of a small number of remaining independent pens shops. As well as the “bricks and mortar” presence, we have a website selling pens all over the world. We are well established (over 13 years) with a strong reputation for excellent customer service.
Last year we invested in a new website. This year, we’ve just completed an extensive refit – the shop looks fantastic. We will be focussing on developing the core areas of our business; a distinctive and stylish range of greetings cards and wrap, the very best in writing equipment and stationery, and a growing range of fine art materials.
We are looking for someone with skill, enthusiasm and energy who can help us grow.
You’ll need experience of, or be able to demonstrate competency, or potential for competency*, in the following areas:
- Person management: we’ve got a small and skilled staff team. You’ll be responsible for bringing out the best of them through day to day management, training and development.
- Merchandising: making sure that product is logically and attractively displayed.
- Written and verbal communication: with shop customers, telephone customers, internet customers, colleagues, suppliers, advertisers etc. This means listening, too.
- Number skills: The till needs to balance, we need to buy the right amount of stock, staff need to be paid. All numbers.
- IT: we make extensive use of spreadsheets and epos software, and you’ll be need to understand how to use our Magento website.
- Social Media: – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and the other stuff I haven’t heard of
- Organisational skills: if you can’t use your time well, you’re lost, and being organised is the only way you’ll get through the day, week and year here.
- Commercial awareness: – is what we’re doing / proposing underpinned by sound business thinking? Your reasoned opinions will be valued – and we’ll expect you to act on them.
- Good taste: the ability to spot stylish and distinctive products that will work.
- Selling: Fairly obvious, but the point of a shop and a website is to sell things, and some of the pens are certainly luxury goods. Can you lead the team to do this?
If you know about stationery, art materials and pens that’s great, but if you’re willing to find out that’s good too. We’ll make sure you know as much as we do.
What do you need?
We think you’ll probably have a degree, and will have had some experience in selling in a retail environment. You’ll be confident and competent and personable and, of course, meet the requirements outlined above.
What’s in it for you?
We’re offering a salary from £18,000, with progression depending on performance. Membership of the NEST pension scheme, five weeks leave a year plus allowance for Bank Holidays (you may be working) training on site and a tailored training programme by agreement. It’s also an opportunity to test yourself and develop your skills in a wide ranging and challenging role.
The post is permanent and full time, and subject to completion of a three month probationary period.
I’m Interested: What do I do?
If you’d like an informal chat with John Hall, the business owner, call him on 01743 245950 during work hours from MONDAY 7TH AUGUST – I won’t be there this week.
Otherwise, just complete a CV giving us education and employment highlights (if we offer you an interview we’ll ask for a full education and employment history). We’d then like a statement telling us how you meet our requirements. Please make sure you address all the areas mentioned – if not, we’re very unlikely to offer you an interview.
end your application and statement to: firstname.lastname@example.org by FRIDAY 18TH AUGUST.
*I’m afraid that if it’s mostly potential and no proven skills and abilities, we’ll probably say no.