Lead Engineer - Test & Commissioning, Warwick
Every time you pick up the phone, surf the Internet, travel on a motorway, catch a train, bus or tube, or even dial 999; chances are telent have enabled the technology to make this happen.
We'd be delighted to hear from you if you have the following experience:
- Proven experience in managing a skilled team especially when geographically spread.
- Experience of producing or using test strategies and plans that minimise risk to existing operational services as part of an upgrade or renewal of a legacy telecom system.
- Proven experience in managing a site based team of testers to deliver a programme of works.
- Proficiency of communicating (both written and verbally) with client engineers to present test strategies/plans and ensuring implemented systems are accepted on completion of test activities.
Good experience and knowledge of new and legacy telecom systems on Network Rail infrastructure as follows:
- Transmission (SDH and PDH).
- Telephone Concentrators/PABXs.
- Cable Networks (Fibre, Copper, Structured).
- PETS Systems and operational phones.
- IP Networking.
- Radio Systems (GSMR, CSR, NRN).
- Positioned within the Rail Engineering team you will be responsible for leading the Test & Commissioning department for Rail projects.
- This will involve the day-to-day line management of a small team, working closely with the Rail Engineering
- Manager and Project Managers to ensure competent resource is allocated to deliver programme requirements. Management of staff utilisation, performance reviews, identification of training and cascade briefings are key responsibilities.
- In addition to the team leader responsibilities, the Lead Engineer would also take on project specific responsibilities for test and commissioning activities.
- Line management of the Rail Test & Commissioning Team.
- Develop the capabilities of the Rail Test & Commissioning Team to meet the business objectives.
- Responsible for the co-ordination of all test resource requirements with the Design Engineers and Project
- Managers to ensure correct delivery of all project deliverables.
- Responsible to ensure all staff involved in test activities have the appropriate level of competence.
- Production of detailed requirement verification documentation to include test strategies, test and commissioning plans, test methodologies and equipment to be used.
- Production of business justifications for the procurement of test equipment.
- Responsible for providing technical support to site based resource relating to commissioning activities.
- To liaise with other key client and stakeholder team members to ensure management of key testing interfaces.
Business Operations Skills - Qualifications:
- IRSE Telecoms 'System Tester' licence (2.3.265) or 'Engineering Manager - Testing' licence (7.8.110 C).
- Working knowledge of HSE and CDM and Safety Critical Works Regulations.
- Working knowledge of Network Rail, LUL and Railway Group standards.
- Minimum of Network Rail PTS qualification.
- You will be a natural leader and team player, with an exceptional ability to persuade and influence at all levels and the ability to make sound decisions.
- You will be an effective communicator (both written and verbal) and be able to effectively direct others in the implementation of test programmes.
- Attention to detail is essential along with high integrity when taking responsibility of endorsing systems as fit for purpose to go into beneficial use.
Excellent employee benefits:
telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages. Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies including childcare vouchers
- An employee-funded car leasing scheme
- Occupational health support
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once we have received sufficient applications.
telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion.