Group IT Business Analyst - SW Birmingham (B45)
SSP is a world-wide retail catering company with operations in 29 countries and employing over 30,000 people. We operate well known branded restaurants, bars, cafés, food courts and convenience stores in airports, train stations, motorway service stations, retail parks and other leisure locations across the globe. Our Shared Service Centre (SSC) is located in Birmingham Great Park, where we have our shared service IT, finance and HR departments. We also have an IT support office in Manchester.
We are looking for an experienced Business Analyst to join the Group IT team at our shared service centre in Birmingham. Working across the development, testing and deployment teams; accountable for the definition, documentation and translation of new business requirements to technical solutions; across the project life cycle to support planning, design, development, testing and implementation of business intelligence and analytics solutions within SSP's enterprise operational systems through to business intelligence (BI) and reporting solutions.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Works with end users to assess needs, define technical requirements/specifications, and propose technical solutions that add value to the business process, department, or organization.
- Prepares and maintains clear, concise and comprehensive design and specification documentation
- Develops data outputs (reports, dashboards, key performance indicators (KPI) and visualisation), and assists in data modelling and BI environment architecture tasks.
- Participates in various enterprise information management workflow processes including data quality automation, data dictionary maintenance and data classification via metadata documentation.
- Develops reports using Microsoft transaction SQL (TSQL), Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and Microsoft SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) based on gathering requirements and collaboration with business owners (Operations, Finance, HR and Strategy)
- Leverages SSAS and SSRS functionality to integrate Power BI reports and dashboards with native SSRS reports and Microsoft Excel.
- Develops analytics solutions for specific use cases around data exploration and self-service.
- Participates in information management activities including data quality standards and master data management
- Consults regularly with IT staff and departmental users to evaluate if developed solutions are being used to their fullest advantage and yielding the greatest possible efficiencies.
- Performs quality assurance and owns the delivery of development meeting the business requirements.
- Prepares and provides status, activity, project updates and reports, and other communications to IT leadership, as needed or requested.
- Report on common sources of issues and make recommendations to product/development teams in order to resolve.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role you will need the following skills and characteristics:
- Proven experience in eliciting and defining requirements through to testing and signoff of development delivery.
- Knowledge in generating process and workflow documentation.
- Good understanding of data modelling concepts and implementation.
- Experience working within the development environment for Microsoft BI stack including SSRS reports and SSAS cubes
- Experience with self-service data visualisation and analysis software in a production environment.
- A 'can-do' attitude to challenges; energised by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people
- Project and time management skills, with ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Proven relevant experience working in a business intelligence environment including MS-SQL and ETL programming and report building.
- Diploma in Business Analysis or Degree qualified in Computer Science, Computer Information, Business Intelligence or related field, or equivalent qualification.
- Previous experience in Global and/or Big Data environment
- Previous experience in Retail and familiarity with its common business processes.
- Experience with self-service data visualisation and analysis software in a production environment (MS Power BI or Tableau).
- Experience developing within a version control system (Team Foundation Server or Git).
- Experience developing solutions within an agile methodology (Scrum, Kanban).
- Experience using open-sourced software and development libraries.
In return for your skills and committment, we offer competitive salary, plus a benefits package including: free parking, great training and learning and development opportunities and a discount scheme involving lots of high street retailers and service providers, pension, life assurance, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme and other benefits.
The site is located in the Rubery area of Birmingham Great Park (B45 9PZ) which is approximately 10 miles South West of the city centre near the M5 / A38 junction.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75276165