Senior Quantity Surveyor
Acorn currently have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join an established national building contractor.
To manage the financial and contractual administration of projects carried out by the Company, ensuring that general quantity surveying duties are performed to the highest standard and ensuring full contractual and monetary entitlement in the most advantageous terms to the Company.
- Ensure that client SHEQ standards, operating processes and company policies are understood and adhered to at all times and that, as far as is reasonably practicable, legislative requirements are complied with
- Act in a professional manner in everything you do such that the Company's reputation is enhanced.
Under supervision of your Line Manager:
- Assist in the preparation of tenders as directed including checking of quantities for major elements
- Analyse tender quotations for exclusions and conditions and report to estimator
- Ensure that you have full understanding of all bid allowances and that a detailed handover has been completed with the estimating team and you have clarity over the bid strategy and profit plan areas
- Co-operate and work in partnership with the project team to ensure consistent delivery of successful projects in order to support the achievement of business unit objectives and to deliver target margins
- Provide advice to the management team on contractual, valuation and measurement matters
- Prepare and implement the project procurement strategy with Operations Manager
- Support the Group Procurement Department buying deals by ensuring they are communicated to subcontractors at tender stage and applied at order stage
- Chair subcontract interview meetings in association with Operations team
- Prepare subcontract enquiries including taking off quantities from drawings and formulating the tender list in consultation with the wider management team along with subsequent analysis and assessment of subcontract quotations
- Negotiate sub-contract packages to deliver the most favourable outcome for the company.
- Draft and place sub-contract orders as and when authorised and ensure no subcontractors commence on site without a subcontract order fully completed
- Support the Operations Manager in providing monthly reports to the customer, ensuring that such reports contain accurate forecasts of our rolling draft final account, full information concerning variations and record contractual notices
- Develop & maintain close relationships with customers, consultants & subcontractors to continuously improve customer experience, improve our Company position and obtain repeat & negotiated business
- Evaluate submit and agree the price of C.V.I's and contract Instructions provisional sums, VE etc
- Prepare and agree monthly valuations with the clients representative and ensure same are invoiced, paid, in full and on time
- Ensure that any agreement with client representatives is documented
- Ensure that adequate records are kept in respect of any future claims
- Prepare and submit alternative proposals for material and specifications to the client for approval
- Prepare and agree the final account with the clients representative
- Prepare and once approved by line manager submit all necessary contractual claims
- Prepare and negotiate interim valuations and final accounts including all necessary measurement as well as making sure that any agreement of variations with supply chain is documented.
- Measure, value, negotiate and check as necessary all subcontract interim and final account applications and process all associated payments in accordance with the Construction Act and/or other prevailing legislation
- Inform the Commercial Manager of any possible claims by subcontractors and prepare and/or seek direction in preparing any necessary documentation/correspondence to protect the Company's interests.
- Prepare response to any claim for loss and expense, after liaison with their line manager
- Having full project(s) profit and loss accountability
- Competent use of company cost system
- Manage the CVR process, in conjunction with the Operations Manager, understanding and accurately forecasting project values, costs & margins against the target margin and profit plan, and agreeing changes and solutions with the Contracts / Project Manager prior to implementation
- Forecast cash on an accurate and timely basis, ensuring that the cash position of the project is maximised without compromising our contractual arrangements and relationships with either customers or subcontractors & suppliers
- Ensure profit plans are understood for each scheme/project and monitor and deliver on agreed areas and work on identifying further areas for recovery.
- Raise alarm signals to the Commercial Manager when the contract is straying outside the cost and profit parameters. Use best endeavours and seek to maximise margins in co-operation with the Operations Manager.
- Prepare and present commercial elements at the site Monthly Contract Review Meeting
Skills & Qualifications
- 7 - 10 Years' experience
- BSc in Quantity Surveying or similar commercial related course
- Professional qualification MRICS or MCIOB desirable
- Commercial Awareness with good legal/contractual knowledge and experience
- Experience of Management accounts
- Commercial contracting experience
- Re-measurement skills
- Previous experience in construction or similar sector
- Valid driving licence
- CSCS card at appropriate level
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75209726