Expert - Engine Design
What keeps you excited to go to work each day? Is it the thought of satisfaction when completing a technical project? Is it the roar that you get when firing up that engine successfully for the first time? If yes, this will be a great role for you!
The purpose of this role is to define and steer the engine architecture and specifications by innovating and evolving engine concepts into production design solutions, enabling power units to fulfil attribute targets across all vehicle platforms.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
* Leadership: Steer the project teams to develop the design architecture of engine concepts and lead the design activity to deliver power units into production.
* Quality: Provision that all QHR directives are captured in the concept design process to ensure robust production solutions to achieve targets.
* Cost: Drive design schemes that enable programme cost targets to be realised. Including efficiencies of modular systems and manufacturing processes.
* Weight: Drive design schemes that enable programme mass targets to be realised.
* Function: Define engine architecture to enable engine sub-systems to fulfil the functional target specifications of the power unit attributes and the vehicle applications.
* Package: Steer design engineers to achieve engine assembly static and dynamic clearance targets. Arbitrate within the engine package envelope, as well as negotiate real estate in vehicle envelopes to achieve optimal solutions.
* Assembly and Manufacturing: Engage and collaborate with manufacturing engineering to ensure that engine assemblies and auxiliary systems are designed to be built, and installed into vehicles, repeatedly and within required cycle time, quality and cost.
* Timing: Establish and execute virtual series plans commensurate with engine programme timing, including build phase and checkpoint deliverables.
* Concerns and Change Management: Influence and verify concern design solutions.
* Meetings: Chair engine design reviews, and support vehicle package and attribute forums as the powertrain specialist.
* FMA: Technically advise to the engine sub-system DFMEA timetable and guide output actions through the design process.
* FESO: Support the EPMT leaders to deliver FDJ and FESO checkpoints.
* Benchmarking: Evaluate competitor power unit information and conduct concept studies of appropriate established and emerging technologies.
* IPR: Create, protect and harness design and innovation IP.
Qualifications & Experience
* Educated to Degree level or higher in an engineering discipline, or equivalent relevant experience (see below).
* The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate technical expertise in gasoline engine design, with complete competence to take full ownership of the engine design from concept to production.
* Recognised as an expert in the field of engine product development and production delivery.
* Extensive experience in engine product development.
* Previous delivery of engine component, system and power unit designs into production.
* Prior demonstration of virtual series disciplines.
* CAE competency in system simulation and/or component analysis tools
* Electrified powertrain and propulsion knowledge.
* Vehicle engineering and packaging.
* Operated as the leader of an engineering product development and/or design team.
* Strong negotiating and influencing skills; with peers, seniors, project and functional teams.
* Advanced gasoline internal combustion engine technical knowledge
* Competent CAD user (preferably including Unigraphics NX)
* Confident presenter of technical information to senior management level at work and within external organisations.
* Accomplished writer of technical and project status reports.
* Must be able to prioritise, delegate and deliver multiple tasks on a consistent basis
* Must be flexible and identify the necessity for extraordinary application.
* Must be able to communicate appropriately at all levels.
* Must be self-motivated and driven to achieve results.
* Must be able to challenge experts and seniors and present measured and just proposals
* Visits to suppliers (UK and worldwide) or engine manufacturing plants when relevant to support specific issues or events.
* Driving licence & medical clearance to use high speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.
If you would like to apply for this position, you can either respond to this advert with your CV or give me a call on
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business.