Specialist Mentor - Birmingham
Vacancy for a Specialist Mentor
Cosmic People are a registered provider of NMH (Non- Medical Helper) support to students with disabilities in Higher Education registered with DSA-QAG.
We are currently seeking a qualified professional with one of the following professional memberships: MBACP, UKCP, BSCPC or BACP, who is an experienced counsellor. The role involves working on a one to one basis supporting students within a university setting or in their own home in the Birmingham area in accordance with their DSA Assessment of Needs report, assisting with their emotional wellbeing whilst they are studying at university.
Please see below for some of the role specifications:-
As a specialist mentor you will provide one to one support on a regular weekly basis to students studying at university in line with their emotional requirements and DSA Assessment of needs report recommendations. To provide specialist, specifically tailored, one to one support which helps students address the barriers to learning created by a particular disability e.g. various mental health issues. To develop students’ skills for autonomy in the learning environment.
The successful candidates will have:-
• Empower the student to develop strategies through using coaching and mentoring skills to address barriers to learning.
• Be student-centred in approach, encouraging students to identify their own objectives for the sessions, whilst using professional judgement to assess their needs.
• Be an experienced counsellor willing to transfer these skills to supporting students on a one to one basis in Higher Education
• Have excellent communication, time management and organisational skills
• Be able to work flexibly to support student’s needs
• Maintain professional boundaries and respect confidentiality.
• Adhere to Academic codes of practice.
• Be capable and confident and able to work on your own initiative
• Have problem solving skills, empathy, diplomacy and sensitivity
• Hold an enhanced DBS certificate covering adults (or be willing to apply for one)
• Be a member of one of the following professional bodies: MBACP, UKCP, BSCP, BACP
Start date: End of September 2017
Location: Birmingham area
Role: Part time/ term time only