Operations Manager - Hazardous Waste
Tailored Recruitment are working on behalf of a national waste company who are looking to recruit an operation manager to run their site in the west Midlands.
Our clients West Midlands site operates a fully equipped laboratory, Transfer Station and a Physico-Chemical treatment plant and currently has an opportunity for an operations manager.
To Manage the day to day operations of their treatment plant and transfer station. Whilst giving the highest priority to Safety, Health and Environmental goals you will analyse and improve operational efficiencies maximise financial performance, develop and deliver customer service excellence for external and internal clients, develop the potential of their treatment plant and transfer station with market driven innovation and manage the performance and development of personnel. All demonstrated through the site KPIs. Essential to meeting these targets will be cooperation and coordination with the Site Manager and the Process and Compliance Manager whilst promoting a proactive culture within the Chemical Treatment team.
1. Visually lead, develop and improve the health, safety and environmental culture (reducing incidents and increasing reporting). Focusing on process and human safety by implementing and monitoring adherence to rules and lead indicators in line with the balanced business plan, working safely tracker and individual performance targets. When required will perform incident investigations.
2. To drive operational excellence of the site in compliance with its permit, licence, discharge consent and any other legal requirements. By delivering no EA CAR scores from site visits, no major breaches of the discharge consent, no reportable emissions and no waste stock >6 months to be held on site.
3. Deliver customer service excellence through reviewing and deciding on treatment methods and booking dates for pre-sampled waste into the treatment plant and packaged goods enquiries into the transfer station in line with KPIs. Review the site bookings ensuring that the site has sufficient capacity, labour and resources to meet the requirements, immediately highlighting any potential failings to the site manager. Ensure the site is operating efficiently, by removing as many non-value adding activities as possible, speeding up the process.
4. Control costs for treatment, disposal, labour, maintenance and sundries on site to ensure the site meets its budgetary requirements set out in the monthly P&L review and KPIs. To over-achieve the site's annual fiscal budget year on year
5. Manage human resource to maximise performance, carry out line management functions relating to personnel issues. Ensuring work schedules are assigned and specific duties are resourced. Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures. Liaising and conferring with Site Manager, Process and Compliance Manager and other team/staff members as necessary.
6. Drive the cultural transformation necessary to champion a team-based work environment where operator input is valued and suggestions are evaluated and implemented.
7. Participate in the development of new projects to be launched, and lead project implementation, as requested.
Nature and Scope
The job holder must be able to lead, coach, inspire, support and motivate their team of 14 people, and always be working towards being the best.
Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, organisational and delegation skills are required.
The job holder's main priority is to ensure that today's work gets done today as efficiently and cost effectively as possible without compromising health, safety and environment compliance.
The site needs to be in a position where it is pulling work in and not being pushed to receive it.The job holder must meet deadlines and measure the performance of the site through KPIs.
These KPI's are to be used to effectively manage the day to day operation, taking appropriate action to ensure they are met or improved upon.
Forward planning by developing treatment methods that will meet any new legislative changes or providing innovative new service offerings for our commercial team to sell into.
The role is based in the West Midlands but may require some travel The job holder will ensure adherence to a formal, structured and controlled process for the Site and Chemical Treatment.
The job holder will be in communication with all the relevant people / departments and co-ordinating all relevant inputs (people, plant and process) to ensure KPI's, SLI's and delivery targets are achieved.
• COTC level 4 in managing hazardous treatment and transfer operations (Essential)
• GCSE or equivalent in Mathematics and English Language (Essential)
• IOSH Managing Safely (Essential)
• Degree in Chemical related science or Engineering (Desirable)
• Relevant experience, including managing a mixed skills team in a busy demanding environment (Essential)
• Computer literate/using MS Office applications (Essential)
• Preparation of risk assessments & method statements (Essential)
• Understanding of the commercial aims of contracts (Essential)
• Previously managed a Physico-Chemical treatment and Transfer Station operation (Desirable)
• Hazards waste legislation (Essential)
• Have a working understanding of ISO 9001,14001 & 18001 (Essential)
• Physico-Chemical Treatment Processing (Desirable)
• Site Permitting (Desirable)
Skills and Behaviours
• Strong relationship management, leadership and motivational skills (Essential)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills (Essential)
• Ability to relate to and earn respect from workers with varying backgrounds (Essential)
• A natural problem solver, who thrives under pressure and can change course in an instant (Essential)
• Extremely organised and detail oriented (Essential)
• Full clean driving licence (Desirable)