Head of Design Management - Infrastructure
Head of Design Management
Location: National (office base either Rugby, Salford Quays or Euston)
Talented people are the key to our success
Would you like to work for a progressive and ambitious company which is also one of the most successful within the UK construction and infrastructure industry?
Morgan Sindall provides national construction and infrastructure services to private and public sector customers across a comprehensive range of markets. We aim to create great results for our customers, partners and ourselves.
We have a fantastic opportunity within our Infrastructure business for an ambitious and talented Head of Design Management.
The successful candidate will be joining the existing team of passionate and dedicated Design professionals.
We are looking for a Head of Design to be responsible for leading the Infrastructure divisions approach to design management, previous experience in Design Management on major infrastructure schemes is essential. The right candidate will have strong Design and Construct experience, and can show commercial and contractual acumen in appointment and management of design consultants. An influential individual is needed to drive performance improvement and increased process compliance.
We are looking for people who share our passion for the project at hand whilst also being able to work within a fun and hardworking team environment.
As the Head of Design Management you will:
- Provide functional leadership and strategy for design management across the five Infrastructure Business units
- Develop & implement consistent approach, leading an improvement programme based on MYR Professional Services Risk Management assessment and recommendations
- Establish, maintain and manage effective design resource and team profile at bid and delivery stages
- Develop the Design Management strategy and approach on bids (including personally on our most significant bids.)
- Support and validate all recruitment of into design management positions
- Develop and implement a "career path" and role descriptions for DM function
- Ensure sound Design Management strategy and approach developed on opportunities and bids (including personally on our most significant bids.)
- Contribute to identification and development of Winning Strategies
- Ensure strength and sufficiency of design teams with early alignment
- Embed rigorous 'Design to Cost’ commercial culture where budget and programme drive positive outcomes.
- Ensure rigorous change control regimes are established and that changes are accounted for, authorised and implemented, as necessary, with the project manager and customer.
- Lead a high level cross business review of design management systems and controls and drive improvements to enhance performance and risk management
- Develop and implement functional training to improve skills and knowledge
- Participate in Infrastructure BIM Steering Group and Implementation teams to align our design management approach and BIM implementation strategy
- Support project teams in the creation, adoption and implementation of effective BIM strategies to ensure value added.
- Act as the Process Owner for Design Management elements of IMS and lead annual management review and change request to IMS
- Create an effective Design Management Community of Practice with co-ordinated knowledge management and communication to harness and share learning, knowledge and experience
- Designer Relationships - Support Engineering Director in maintaining a broad range of strong corporate relationships with design consultants
- Participate in the early identification and alignment of appropriate design consultants for future opportunities
- Develop and implement 360 degree feedback reporting on designer and MS performance
- Develop our skill, capability, process and control in Value Engineering to ensure effective decisions and commercial outcomes
- Ensure that key supply chain partners / stakeholders are brought into the VE process at the appropriate time
- Oversee implementation and compliance with CDM Regulations and duty holder appointment across the Division
- Lead and implement audit and peer review of design management function across business units, providing support and advice as well as governance
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive and specific suite of design briefs, scope of services and supporting documentation for key stages of project
- Ensure that fully coordinated design programmes are produced and agreed and that programmes are regularly monitored for progress and updates
Already experienced as a Head of Design, you will be degree qualified in Civil Engineering or other relevant subject. You will be a member of an industry recognised professional body such as ICE, CIHT etc. You will have experience on key Infrastructure sectors - Rail, Highways, Nuclear, Energy, Aviation, Water.
About the Infrastructure Team:
Within our Infrastructure division, our engineering and technical support team is a valued and highly experienced group of construction professionals who provide the expertise, innovation and experience to win and deliver the technically demanding projects that are a key feature of our offer to customers. They ensure that the very best of our technical expertise is available to all parts of our Infrastructure business, and that rigorous engineering management and control leads to safe and consist delivery.
Morgan Sindall is an equal opportunities employer and has been accredited with the Positive About Disabled People 'Two Ticks’ accreditation. We are also an Investors in People company.
Morgan Sindall is unable to employ anyone who does not have the legal right to live and work in the UK.
In the recruitment process all applicants are required to provide the necessary right to work information and documentation.