Technical Manager - Metallurgy
My client are a global metals manufacturing business currently experiencing a high level of growth.
They are seeking a Technical Manager with a background in metallurgy.
The Technical Manager will lead the technical development of the business and processes to deliver value and volume growth. This growing business represents an excellent opportunity working for an established manufacturing company based in the West Midlands but supplying the world. The company supply steel products to global brands selling in over 55 different countries.
The Technical Manager will play a key role in developing differentiated products, innovating around process, and supporting customers and the sales team to drive profitability through technical excellence.
The role exists to develop and implement quality processes and to lead the product and process innovation needed to keep our business differentiating through product excellence, technology and quality. The Technical Manager will interact with external equipment and raw material suppliers and with a global customer base as well as with all key function within the business.
The role is a senior leader position in a dynamic and exciting environment. The job holder will be expected to contribute to wider business issues and to be able to balance short and long term priorities in a fast-changing business.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Lead and develop a team of technical staff who are responsible for the testing / reporting / support of production material and processes.
- To implement and maintain ISO 9001 within the Technical Department.
To support the achievement of all industry, country or customer specific accreditation needed to sustain business growth.
- To ensure that appropriate preventative testing and plant analysis are completed to deliver the safe and controlled operations of equipment and processes.
- To monitor process efficiency, including yield, to optimise processes, to reduce costs and to control all business losses.
- To monitor and manage all internal and customer rejections and complaints and determine root cause and improvement plans to drive down through supply costs and to drive up customer service and satisfaction.
- To maintain and manage all raw material specifications and to actively seek the development of new materials, specifications, and supply process routes.
- To support the supplier complaint process and to lead the supplier approval and improvement process.
- To work with customers both in response to their problems and requests, but also proactively as part of a sales process designed around differentiated products and technology.
- To support the Operations / Engineering functions in investigating and resolving the practical production problems that they encounter.
- To support the production planning function in determining the optimum process route for a customer order.
- To support the effective purchasing of material oils and gases needed in our operations.
- To support the wider safe operations of the site and to lead the safety of the technical team specifically.
- To lead the New Product Development strategy, championing innovation and new technologies to differentiate our products and processes. This will involve the active management of the NPD process from idea to commercialisation, including the ownership of trials, pre-production, capex and patent processes.
- To build relationships with key suppliers and customers as part of a technical sales process focused on adding value through product performance.
Qualifications and Experience
The position requires graduate level or equivalent capability, with appropriate professional training, qualifications and experience in a metallurgy based discipline. A knowledge of the steel products and processes used within the production of steel is desirable. More important is a strong metallurgy foundation upon which specific product knowledge can be developed. Technical aptitude is important, and relevant training in products and processes will be given. The role requires the ability to self-manage and strong communication and problem solving skills. The job holder must have the ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales.
The company is committed to innovation of process and products, and the job holder will have NPD experience and a passion for technical innovation. This requires resilience, tenacity and a commitment to process, as well as the ability to inspire and engage others within the business.
The company serve a global customer base and it is important to be able to work with people of different cultures and the ability to travel within the UK and overseas occasionally.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75139327