ASSISTANT TECHNICAL MANAGER
Location O2 Academy Birmingham - , WMD B1 1DB UK (Primary)
Academy Music Group are recruiting for an Assistant Technical Manager to assist and in the absence of the Technical Manager oversee the technical aspects of a production from 'load in’ to 'load out’.
Academy Music Group is part of Live Nation Entertainment the largest live entertainment company in the world, consisting of five businesses: concert promotion and venue operations, sponsorship, ticketing solutions, ecommerce and artist management. Live Nation seeks to innovate and enhance the live entertainment experience for artists and fans: before, during and after the show.
- To assist and in the absence of the Technical Manager oversee the Technical aspects of a production from 'load in’ to load out’
- To keep the stage and backstage area clean and tidy and in accordance with Health & Safety guidelines.
- To have a sound working knowledge of the venue and its facilities and where necessary take immediate action to ensure a safe working environment.
- To act as the main point of contact for all enquiries as to the technical operation of the building.
To assist and in the absence of the Technical Manager be responsible for the following:
- To ensure the stage is clear of all obstacles prior to load in.
- To ensure that all venue technical specification/information sheets are accurate and up to date. Furthermore to ensure that a specific 'technical rider’ is generated for every event following discussions with the relevant artists/production staff. Show advance information needs to be communicated to all relevant staff and included in the venue show file for reference.
- To ensure the Production Manager / Promoter Rep signs the current health and safety paperwork and attends show stop meetings’
- To ensure that visiting productions are fully informed of venue technical specifications, truss, lighting safe working loads etc. And that the Production Manager is fully conversant with all aspects of the venue specifications and facilities and to provide help where necessary
- In Tech Managers absence book the venue stage crew as and when required for events to budget
- To undertake a 'Pre-Show’ checklist prior to every event and ensure that the building is safe and ready for public admittance. All the bands back line is in the correct place, to ensure the stage is clear and to check all on stage and Front of House mixer fire points.
- When acting as Stage Manager to ensure the bands get to the stage at the correct times and to oversee the changeovers and the breaking down of back line
- To oversee the 'load out’ and to ensure all the crew are sent to the relevant production areas. Once the load out has finished you need to sign off the security and ensure the building is clear of all members of the public, band and crew.
- To ensure all incidents / spillages are reported to security control immediately and all problems and defects are logged and reported to your line manager.
- To act as 'in-house’ engineer (sound/lights) when required.
- Operate event lighting, using Avolite consoles and Robe Fixtures and undertake maintenance and repairs. Some sound engineering on occasion.
- To develop the lighting within the venue and for club nights.
- To ensure the entire venue’s technical equipment is maintained to the required standards and that records of maintenance and repairs are logged. To report potential future issues with equipment to allow for advance planning
- Liaise with technical manager with regards to repairs and ordering consumable stock, bulbs, gel and fluid etc.
- To oversee any local authority, insurance or maintenance inspections should it be required.
- To assist with the PAT testing of all technical equipment
- To ensure that all work is done in safe manner in line with AMG H&S policy
- To undertake any other reasonable duties and training as and when required.
Skills / Knowledge / Experience
- Experience in a Live Music Venue or experience in Touring Productions.
- Experience in Lighting is essential and some experience with sound engineering would be an advantage.
- Administration and familiar with Excel, Office, webmail and dropbox.
- Expert understanding of the technical requirements of live and club events
- Understanding of Health & Safety, risk assessment issues for event staff
- Experience of working with event promoters both local and nationally and a knowledge of how the industry works.
- High level of competence with sound, lighting and AV equipment
- Good communicator
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage situations with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to identify problems and develop solutions
- Problem solving abilities pertaining to technical issues
- Experience of diary management/rota management
- Knowledge of the local hire companies and promoters
- Experience of advancing shows
- Ability to work flexibly, on own initiative, as a team leader and as part of a team
- Ability to manage part time crew
- Ability to take and carry out instruction when required
- Capable of demonstrating a high level of customer and client service skills
- Enthusiastic about live music and clubs
- Shows confidence in dealing with wide ranging types of situations
- Able to work flexible and unsocial hours including evenings, nights, weekends, bank holidays and New Year’s Eve
- Experience of physical demands of working with in a live music venue.
- Interest in developing skills and abilities
How to apply:
If your skills and experiences match that of this job description apply here today with a current CV including full employment and education information.
All roles at Live Nation Entertainment are subject to full background screening.
Please note due to high volume of applications for our roles we reserve the right to close all vacancies earlier than the advertised date without notice. To avoid disappointment please apply as soon as possible.