Public Health Engineer
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services.
We are the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects both large and small scale in the built environment and across industry. With 90 offices in 35 countries our 12,000 staff offer a broad range of professional services and through our work we make a positive difference in the world.
Clients trust our people to question a vision as well as help to realise it. our commitment to a sustainable approach to it’s projects is both enshrined in a formal sustainability policy and embraced personally by the individuals that together make up the firm.
Our independence, enabled by its employee ownership structure, fosters a distinctive culture and an intellectual independence that encourages collaborative working. This is reflected in everything we do, allowing us to develop meaningful ideas, help shape agendas and deliver results that frequently surpass the expectations of our clients. It also gives individuals the freedom to develop in a supportive and stimulating environment.
Why work with us?
• A place where creativity, innovation and exciting technical challenges are always possible.
• We are trust-owned - you will own shares and therefore have an invested interest in it’s success.
• To have fun! And be part of a team that enjoys what they do, embracing a unique culture.
• Develop your career in the UK or Abroad through international assignments.
• Continued training and development is key to ensure we continue to develop our staff and look to the future requirements of our clients.
Public Health Engineer, Solihull
We have an opportunity for a Public Health Engineer who is working towards chartership with CIBSE and is looking for technically challenging work on cutting - edge projects to join our established Building Engineering team in Solihull.
You will play an active role in all stages of our projects from feasibility through to completion on diverse assignments, across a number of sectors. Not only will you be actively involved in the production of design information, you will also be involved in mentoring junior staff and reviewing project deliverables.
• Interpreting client’s requirements in order to produce efficient and cost effective designs as part of an overall MEP package.
• Collaborate with other construction professionals and specialist designers in order to integrate public health and environmental services systems within an overall coordinated Revit model.
• You will be expected to liaise and communicate with both internal and external design teams and clients and represent the discipline at project meetings as the need arises.
• You will ensure standards are kept by seeking best practice throughout the firm using and contributing to technical forums. In doing this you will know when to challenge accepted
practice in order to advance the discipline through a solid understanding of core principles.
• Provide design services in all aspects of Public Health Engineering including above ground drainage design, hot and cold water domestic services, medical gas supply pipework and fire suppression systems.
• Mentor and provide guidance of our graduate engineers and technicians in all aspects of Public Health Engineering.
With Public Health Engineers located in most of Arup’s offices around the world you will be able to draw upon a vast knowledge bank via the firm’s technical forums. Whether looking for specialised National code interpretations or looking for utilisation of Arup sponsored research throughout the world, Arup’s technical forums will put you in touch with the right information.
Currently the Midlands Public Health team is actively engaged in over 30 live local, national, and international projects. Our work ranges from concept design through to practical completion covering commercial, residential, airports, railways, hotels, sports stadia, swimming pools, museums, laboratories and many other specialist building types.
Requirements and skills
We are looking for an enthusiastic engineer with excellent design, technical, and software skills who enjoys working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary design teams, taking responsibility for projects from inception to completion to achieve outstanding results.
You will be working towards chartership with considerable experience in the field of Public Health Engineering Systems within building structures.
You will be committed to your own professional development and looking for challenging work to develop your engineering skill.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Degree qualified in a relevant Engineering subject
• Working towards Chartership of an appropriate professional institution such as CIBSE or IMechE
• Have a solid technical background in Public Health Engineering
• A self starter, able to work with limited supervision
• A passion for Public Health design with an enthusiasm for sustainable building design
• The ability to work within a motivated team of multi-disciplinary professionals
• Able to work on several projects concurrently, delegating work to graduate engineers yet maintaining responsibility for their output
• Demonstrate a nurturing nature, able to mentor junior staff
• Have a good sense of humour!
• Possess a working knowledge of current UK public health regulations
• Have knowledge and experience of working to European and other
international technical standards
• Be familiar with Revit.
Key Behavioural Competencies:
• Communicates effectively
• Results focused
• Desire to challenge
• Client focused
• Enjoys working with others
• Creative and inquisitive