Supplier Relationship Manager
Position: Supplier Relationship Manager
Department: Contracts and Procurement
West Midlands Police is in the process of transforming how it operates as part of its WMP 2020 change programme and as part of this review, investment is being made into how we let and manage external contracts. Indeed, with significant amounts of procurement activity being required to help to enable the force's transformation, it is a really exciting time to work for the force and specifically the Contracts and Procurement Unit.
On this basis, the following opportunity has arisen to work in the force's Contracts and Procurement Department, which is an ambitious, forward thinking function that acts as the force's centre of excellence for all commercial activity.
You will develop and implement a supplier and contract management strategy for the force, from which a framework for managing suppliers and contracts shall be established. To enable this, your expertise will be required to influence both internal and external stakeholders and to also ensure that the strategy aligns to force procurement activity. From this work, you will help to ensure that the desired goal of the force being viewed as a good customer to sell to is accomplished, and that the anticipated benefits from contracts are achieved.
Specific Role Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Head of Contracts and Procurement, produce, implement and review a Supplier Relationship Management Strategy for the force.
- Develop and implement an effective approach to contract and supplier management for goods, works and services in order to provide sustainable best value and improve the effectiveness of the procurement process and thus the overall policing performance of the force.
- It is required that the successful candidate be a full member of the Chartered Institute for Purchasing and Supply, is conversant with current procurement regulations and is able to demonstrate effective communication, negotiation, influencing skills and commercial acumen.
Day to day duties
- Work with stakeholders and client Departments to consider and help implement any required local contract management appointments
- Hold to account the implementation and continued practice of the Supplier Relationship Management Strategy and agreed practices within each client Department.
- To ensure that staff members are trained accordingly to maximise the delivery of contract management efficiency's.
- Oversee on a day-to-day basis contract management performance for reporting staff, financial management and supplier performance evaluation.
- Act as the principal professional advisor to the force on all supplier and contract management monitoring matters.
- To build up and identify training and development programmes designed to improve awareness, understanding and capability for staff associated with contract management activities.
- Where required, attend Contract Review and Project Board meetings for business critical force contracts. Provide professional advice and ensure contract performance is reviewed and managed in line with Key Performance Indicators / Service Level Agreements and customer feedback.
- To build deep and trusted relationships with internal customers that allow them to be an integral part of the customer's contracts management decision making process.
- To construct and maintain rapport with internal contacts in order to support them to build a profound understanding of their contract management responsibilities.
- Interact with client staff to discuss and resolve common concerns and agree on solutions to improve service delivery.
- Mobilising contracts and identifying the level of contract management activity required.
- Overseeing dispute management, escalation and problem resolution.
- The ability to think analytically (considering the full range of implications and identifying patterns or trends) to think through issues critically, spot opportunities and develop creative solutions.
- Develop an information collection and reporting framework that supports the sharing of contract management information for projects, internal clients and other stakeholders.
- To support client departments, ensuring contract delivery during contract closedown and assisting with any new arrangements or disposal at the end of the life of the contract.
- Any other duties commensurate with the role.
As part of the force's acknowledgement of the importance of managing contracts and suppliers post contract award, this new position has been created from which applications are invited.
Randstad Business Support acts as an employment business when supplying temporary staff and as an employment agency when introducing candidates for permanent employment with a client. Randstad Business Support is an equal opportunities employer and decisions are made on merits alone.
Why not listen to some of the inspiring stories from our candidates and their one piece of career advice. It's just a few of the thousands of people who have found success in their working lives with Randstad. Visit to find out what you could become.