We are a top independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Based in the Midlands across two centres in Solihull and Nottingham, our multi-discipline Building Engineering group continues to win major pieces of work particularly in the industrial, education and commercial sectors. At any one time the group has in the region of 30 to 50 active projects delivered through a team of over 120 engineers and technicians.
Our group has undertaken the design on a number of prestigious projects in the region over the past few years including:
- Jaguar Land Rover Engine Manufacturing Plant at i54, Wolverhampton
- National Automotive Innovation Centre at Warwick University
- Snow Hill Buildings One, Two and Three, Birmingham for Ballymore, Hines and M&G
- Paradise Redevelopment, Birmingham for Argent, Hermes Investment Management and Birmingham City Council.
- Derby Multi Sports Arena (Velodrome)
- Northampton University Waterside Campus
We are also providing Works Quality Monitoring services at the prestigious Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre (DNRC) at Stanford Hall near Loughborough.
We provide an integrated building information modelling (BIM) service to our clients by default and continue to drive improvements in our design quality through investment in research and development.
This role is based in our Solihull office. Originally built in 2000, the office won awards for its low energy design and Architecture. 15 years on, we have undertaken a refurbishment to introduce current best practice in work space planning and technology, through the introduction of a variety of collaboration and break out spaces.
As a Mechanical Engineer within the buildings group, you will be involved at all stages of the design process, and will liaise directly with clients and design team partners. The role will include:
· Development of mechanical engineering systems designs including Heating, Ventilation & cooling
· Production of Concept, Developed and Technical drawings, reports and specifications in line with RIBA plan of work and BSRIA BG6 framework
· Development of engineering designs directly in Revit with support from experienced BIM technicians
· Development of mechanical calculations using industry standard calculation software such as IES.
· Authoring reports and specifications using Microsoft Office suite, and NBS Create.
· Reporting to the Project Lead for day-to-day delivery
· Providing technical and mentoring support to less experience engineers and technicians
· Liaising with clients and contractors for the development and delivery of designs
· Contributing to the development of skills with our mechanical team, and the opportunity to contribute to the global mechanical skills network
· Opportunities to undertake research funded by Arup in your specific areas of interest.
Requirements and skills
· Bachelor Degree in Building Services, Mechanical Engineering or similar with Masters Degree preferred
· On route to becoming chartered with the IMechE or CIBSE
· We would expect you to have gained typically 5 years’ experience in a similar role
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
· Be inquisitive, creative, and engaging when communicating about engineering design
· Be collaborative and persuasive
· Understanding of Mechanical building services systems across a range of building sectors
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Experienced in contributing to design notes, reports and general correspondence
· Excellent listening skills to enable development of solutions that satisfy client requirements
· Ability to flex communication styles to be relevant to the audience
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
· Ability to prioritise your own workload across multiple project
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office range of software
· Be available to work away from your home office from time to time
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
· Experience gained to date within Building Services Consultancy
· Experience of modelling within Revit MEP
· Experience of Carbon Modelling software such as IES or TAS
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.