Senior Java Engineer
Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team we now have office locations in Warwick, Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re now looking for a Senior Software Java Engineer to join our Core Platform Team in Warwick to help us continue to make that difference.
This is a key role within the development team, building advanced software solutions for our growing on-line energy and telco business.
Projects will cut across a wide set of solution domains including:
- On-line registrations
- Customer self serve
- Single Customer view
- Rating and billing
You will be working within a highly agile environment that continues to strive to make the software delivery process more efficient and reliable. The way we build and test is critical to successful delivery as we continue to move towards microservices architecture.
You will be passionate about all things Java and have a thorough knowledge of Java EE development environments.
The role holder will be embedded within the development team to support and champion their continuous delivery principles, whilst collaborating with other software and operational engineers in order to ensure a consistent, resilient and dynamic approach.
Above all we are an innovative organisation, so the ideal candidate will have a passion for technology and a considered approach to software development. You will want to constantly enhance and improve your working environment through collaborating and sharing your learnings with the wider team.
Areas of specific responsibility
- Deliver high quality, efficient, defect free code, following the basic agile principles of test driven development.
- Take a very involved role in the various agile activities, including leading planning and estimating sessions and reporting progress to their assigned project lead/project manager.
- Lead design and code reviews and be accountable for the actions taken from these sessions, seeing them through to implementation as agreed.
- Act as a Scrum Master for small projects, typically as part of a large project under the guidance of a Lead or Principal Software Engineer.
The desirable candidate will have
- Expert experience of developing within a Java EE environment and a good knowledge of application servers.
- Experience using Java Workflow Engines and Java Messaging Frameworks.
- Experience working within an Agile Framework - ideally SCRUM, but this should not limit candidates who have experience of XP, DSDM or other recognised agile frameworks.
- Specific experience of Test-Driven Development, Unit Testing, Continuous Integration and Delivery.
- A passion for working in a team and the buzz that goes along with constant communication, but not afraid to go it alone when required.
- Ability to work within a layered SOA architecture and implement and test RESTful services.
- Experience of working with SQL database servers such as PosgresSQL or MySQL.
- Experience of working with Java Persistence frameworks, such as hibernate.
Our current technology stack includes but is not limited to:
- Java EE (8)
- JBoss/Wildfly and Glassfish
- JMS and JMS messaging systems including HornetQ
- SQL across a range of DB technologies (Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL)
- Spring/Dependency Injection
- Junit/JBehave/Mocking Frameworks for developing unit and functional tests
As well as a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary, you’ll also enjoy 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays), pension, option to purchase childcare vouchers, and become eligible for our staff energy tariff along with other great ad-hoc offers.
We believe in putting energy into looking after our teams, so you’ll benefit from BUPA Private Healthcare, cycle to work scheme, a great working environment with relaxation areas to recharge your batteries and free soft drinks available all day. We also have "Fruity Friday" where fresh fruit is available every week for all employees.